Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camera build, Idiot check time

Re: Camera build, Idiot check time

Andy welcome. Could you PM me details of where you bought the Knurled knobs.

Ian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bellows.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	99059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ground Glass.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	99060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Focus bed.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	99061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bits.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	99062

Slightly better photos (though taken on a camera phone. . .) of the donor camera - after a thorough assesment a lot of the wood is split or warped. However bar a few missing knobs and clips the brassware is complete. Surprisingly though the bellows are remarkably free of leaks, bar where the glue has come away from the frames.

So considering my options,

1, rebuild as a whole plate camera - wood thickness is 6mm apart from the rails which come in a 13.54mm - just a little thicknessing required of the 19mm thick maple I've got to hand. . .

2, use brassware to build a new 10x8 camera, so I'd need where the wood meets brass to be 6mm - will this be stable enough for a 10x8 camera or will I need to build in a subframe to strengthen it up? And If so hopefully there may be some lengths of white oak spare after the complete home renovation in Fife - would using Oak cause any significant problems with warping when supporting maple?

Leaning more to option 2, but I'd appreciate any advice or comments at this early stage.

You're missing the main body part of the camera, the bit the back and bellows attch to. I'd find some old mahogany to make that part, you can either use the existing plate back or make a second to take modern DDS film holders. It would be a shame to use wood that isn't a close match.

There's brass work missing that you'll need to fabricate.

Ian

That's too small to make a 10x8 camera, I just realised that's a Half plate back and bellows etc.

Ian

Cheers Ian, I realise that now. Slightly bummed due to seller completly ignoring any communication whatsoever prior to auction close so rekon a dispute will have to be raised.
    Following the other posts the brasswork should be straight forward.
    Couple of catalogues arrived from http://www.automotioncomponents.co.uk and looks lke some of the products they provide could come in handy, perhaps not for this build but for the next one. . .

@IanG,

That is nowhere near as simple as I thought !
    The knurled knobs/ threaded thumbscrews are not now easily findable in Imperial sizes, and the ones I bought are completely wrong !! being too small and Metric.
    The search is on for an old fashioned ironmonger.

Andy.

Andy, the best way to get thumb screws ist t get them made for you. I was given a business card at a flea market two months ago by a Clock restorer he gets parts in brass made of an old alloy which is cast specially, presumably has more copper and less zinc. The card disappeared but I'll try an internet search (I'll recognise his website), he was making some parts himself but used a machine shop in Gloucestershire for some turned parts.

I did a quick search of my history and found the name & number, I'll call him.

I've bought some Thumbscrews from Ebay, all metric but I'll re-tap or make new plates - I need them for a tilting tripod platform and although old it was home made but the threads are stripped.

Ian

Quick update, I've made contact and have two weeks to email details of what I'm after as he goes away tonight on holiday. As a clock restorer though he's after auntenticity (his restorations are rather up-market).

Ian

Hi Ian,
    I'm going to the Fulham Road next week to a very posh sounding Ironmongers who say they have lots of Imperial bits and pieces. we'll see.

As you say, they can be made and if I find any, as long as they are too big, then could they be tapped down to the existing insert size?

Andy.

Andy, if you find some in the Fulham road could you get some extras for me please. It might be possibel to take them down in size but a lot would depend on the thread etc.

There's always a stall at the flea market I go to with a lot of brass hardware but so far I've had no luck, I'm there again tomorrow.

Ian