Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Choices for Backpacking

Question Film Choices for Backpacking

Quickloads have been a great choice for backpackers over the years as they seem to represent the lightest weight alternative when carrying and managing film in the field. However, when Fuji discontinued quickloads in 2010, this alternative has largely disappeared or has become much more expensive for the ever dwindling supplies that remain. I'm sure some have been far-sighted enough to sock it away, but for those of us that haven't, my question is how one might best manage film and film changing while in the field?

Re: Film Choices for Backpacking

Graftmatics.
    Film holders. Changing bag.

I've used Grafmatics for years, and was amazed when told (on this forum) that ordinary Riteway/Fidelity holders actually weigh less. I weighed mine and, indeed, they do!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Once my quickload supply ran out, I just went 6x12 and 6x17 roll film backs on my last few trips.

Shooting 120 in a roll film back is pretty easy... can carry a lot of 120 film for the weight of 10 holders.

I've been investigating the use of Grafmatic holders...

I'll most likely be just carrying film holders and reloading them in my sleeping bag on my next trip... (which is WAY past due)
    Robert Oliver

I second the opinion on roll holders. You can take a ton of 120 with you without worrying about changing bags or taking dozens upon dozens of holders with you.

Three variations on the sans-Quickload theme – Cascade and Olympic ranges of Washington:

1) For an afternoon backpacking trip, I’ve carried six holders, no changing bag. But usually two.

2) For a trip of five nights – when hiking to a new location each night – I’ve carried one holder plus changing bag. The Ries stays home, the Manfrotto comes along.

3) For a trip of ten nights – when pitching my tent once and staying at that location – I’ve done it both ways above. If easy to get to, the 1st way. (I’ll even bring my Ries, since the daily photo trekking will be done w/ photo equipment only.) If difficult to get to, the 2nd way.

To this day, I’ve never carried a digital camera on any hiking trip, but that day may come.

For the most strenuous trips, when a camera is mandatory, it’s the Nikon EM + 24mm/2.8 AF-D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I've used Grafmatics for years, and was amazed when told (on this forum) that ordinary Riteway/Fidelity holders actually weigh less. I weighed mine and, indeed, they do!
    Really? I've just weighed a few of my holders and a grafmatic, loaded and in the plastic bags I keep them in to keep dust out.
    3x Fidelity Elite/Lisco Regal weighs in at 571g
    1x Grafmatic (Singer USA) weighs in at 494g

So for me to carry six sheets of film ready to shoot, using three standard filmholders is 15% heavier than using a grafmatic. Obviously its not a dramatic weight reduction but its there. And of course the grafmatic takes up about half the space of three filmholders.

My choice is two Grafmatics and a changing bag and a bag of boxes that help me organize the film in the changing bag (N, N-1, N+1, fresh film).

At the very last minute I decide whether it is going to be one Grafmatic or two, depending how well I kept the rest of my pack weight under control.

Never hike longer than your number of film holders, don't mess up or do dumb shots. Edit harshly.

I have a small REI backpack that I got and I stuck in some of Bruce's boxes (backpacker.com). They are supposed to be for long lenses, but they hold 6 holders each. I carry my 4x5 camera in my hand on the carbon tripod, with one lens attached and ready to go (the 150). I have one other lens in the backpack, a tiny 240 A. I have one of those weigh-almost-nothing BTZS hoods, a loupe, light meter, cable release, pencil and some water/food. The pack, fully loaded weighs less than 10 pounds... and if I am only going for a couple of hours I can take 6 or 8 holders.

Of course, this is a solution for a day hike vs an overnight, but recently I did 10 miles up in the mountains... it was a bit much. A 5-10 mile hike is plenty of distance from the car. I don't worry about holders... or ready-loads... I can carry a 10 pound pack without even thinking about it...

8x10 and larger is another story, of course.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing