Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 enlarger from a sinar p

8x10 enlarger from a sinar p

What are the major difficulties in using a camera as an enlarger. I know I'll need a light source. I've got a Photogenic dome reflector that might work. What bulb would be best? can I use the GG holder as a negative stage? Clear glass or AN? Can I lay a piece of Duratrans on top of the negative for diffusion? I'd need a way to hold VC filters. Is it a crazy idea? kevin

Vanannan

Re: 8x10 enlarger from a sinar p

Completely crazy in my opinion, I am greatly in favour of enterprise and invention etc. but unless you are very hard up you should be able to pick up a 10x8 enlarger very cheaply or gratis and save yourself a great deal of hassle.

Good luck.

Wait a minute. Not that crazy. And 8x10 enlargers are not plentiful, too many were thrown away.

Why not, try it, it will cost you almost nothing and will not damage your P. In the past there were Graflargers which did exactly this.

You could try many light sources, even a studio flash head, fired a few times.

Filters can go below the lens. Use the Lee rubber band filter holder.

Make your light source light tight with foam core.

Show us the results!
    Tin Can

Kevin,

Not crazy, but not without its challenges...

FYI, the is a Devere 8x10 enlarger listed for sale in the Toronto area for C$1500.

It depends upon how much time you have, what your time is worth, what fabrication skills you have, and how good you are at it. Another potential issue is whether the Sinar is surplus, or are you going to need to assemble and disassemble it between enlarger and camera; that may limit your darkroom time. Are you looking at a vertical or horizontal enlarger configuration? Each have their challenges...

Could use the Beseler 8x10 conversion kit negative holder idea, in that just take two pieces of glass (ideally clear and AN) and create a hinge between them by taping them together on one of the long edges.

A number of options on light source depending upon if you are doing B&W or if you want to take on the challenge of colour. For B&W, compact fluorescent lamps, halogen, tungsten, or LED are all options for diffusion sources, but for multigrade paper you will need to put the filters into the light path. Might have a look at how large heads are constructed for reference.

Another alternate is to list at WTB ad in the classified section for an 8x10 enlarger and in the local Craigslist or Kijiji.

Hope that provides a little more insight, as it was some of the things I was looking at doing before I got my 8x10 enlarger.

Good luck,

Len

Thanks All.

It was a challenge to find a 4x5 enlarger in Maine! People that have 8x10s for sale seem reluctant to ship them. I only work in B&W so that makes the light choice simpler. The Beseler conversion is a great idea. Maybe I'll leave the Sinar P out of the plan and use one of the old wood cameras I was planning on rehabbing as a bellows/focusing mechanism. I'm not looking for a large range of image sizes. Being able to crop a portion onto 8x10 paper or enlarge to 11x14. I think vertical would be the best for me. I've got 8' of ceiling height but horizontal is limited.

I have a couple of cold light sources in 4x5. Could I get away with moving the light source away from the negative stage? I expect the exposures would be longer if I did that.

I've built a dining room set from cherry wood I harvested on my land and built fire trucks for a living so I've got some fabrication skills and a good workshop.

Time is my own and this seems like an enjoyable investment.

Thanks again for the help.

kevin

Obviously you can make anything.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    Thanks All.

It was a challenge to find a 4x5 enlarger in Maine! People that have 8x10s for sale seem reluctant to ship them. I only work in B&W so that makes the light choice simpler. The Beseler conversion is a great idea. Maybe I'll leave the Sinar P out of the plan and use one of the old wood cameras I was planning on rehabbing as a bellows/focusing mechanism. I'm not looking for a large range of image sizes. Being able to crop a portion onto 8x10 paper or enlarge to 11x14. I think vertical would be the best for me. I've got 8' of ceiling height but horizontal is limited.

I have a couple of cold light sources in 4x5. Could I get away with moving the light source away from the negative stage? I expect the exposures would be longer if I did that.

I've built a dining room set from cherry wood I harvested on my land and built fire trucks for a living so I've got some fabrication skills and a good workshop.

kevin
    Tin Can

Vanannan

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    Thanks All.

kevin
    Maybe not a crazy idea with your skills and facilities and with time on your hands it will be an interesting and worthwhile project, I had not realized that 10x8 enlargers were scarce in the US they still come up fairly regularly in the UK, not so common on the Isle Of Man though, I have the only one (modified Devere 108) which cost me a great deal to get here about 25 years ago, I had to do a lot of work modifying it to my requirements which I also enjoyed.

Best wishes.

Tony,

That's the spirit!

Someday, I want to see your bike race, most likely never happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    Maybe not a crazy idea with your skills and facilities and with time on your hands it will be an interesting and worthwhile project, I had not realized that 10x8 enlargers were scarce in the US they still come up fairly regularly in the UK, not so common on the Isle Of Man though, I have the only one (modified Devere 108) which cost me a great deal to get here about 25 years ago, I had to do a lot of work modifying it to my requirements which I also enjoyed.

Best wishes.
    Tin Can

Vanannan

Randy
    If you ever make it to the IOM it would be great to meet a fellow LF forum member, we are all a little peeved over here at the moment due to the goings on at the Tour De France which left our Mark Cavendish with no chance of winning the yellow jersey.

Regards

I mean the TT, but I did read here of Cav's problems. http://www.iomtoday.co.im/sport/cycl...ance-1-5810990

I'm a huge motorbike nut. Actually anything on 2 or 3 wheels. Hate the cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    Randy
    If you ever make it to the IOM it would be great to meet a fellow LF forum member, we are all a little peeved over here at the moment due to the goings on at the Tour De France which left our Mark Cavendish with no chance of winning the yellow jersey.

Regards
    Tin Can