Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 doubts

11x14 doubts

Im in the way to receive a Chamonix 11x14 and sone other goodies. And im not new in large format as I have been shooting 4x5 for 4 years and 8x10 for the last year. But I find the information on 11x14 all scattered around.

How do you load your film while traveling? I have a Harrison (biggest) tent and think it will work.

Where do you store your 11x14 negatives? I use print file negative plastic sheets but dont find any in 11x14.

I have two darkcloths for my other cameras. One is Ebony and works great on my 4x5s and one is Harrisons biggest, but I find it just big enough for my Sinar 8x10 and Wehman 8x10. Should i just make my own? Or does BTZS sell bigger ones?

If you have any other useful info about the format please let me know.

Thanks.

Re: 11x14 doubts

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolasllasera View Post
    Im in the way to receive a Chamonix 11x14 and sone other goodies. And im not new in large format as I have been shooting 4x5 for 4 years and 8x10 for the last year. But I find the information on 11x14 all scattered around.

How do you load your film while traveling? I have a Harrison (biggest) tent and think it will work. The JUMBO sized tent is the one you want.

Where do you store your 11x14 negatives? I use print file negative plastic sheets but dont find any in 11x14. I use this(albeit I cut my own down from the smaller-sized sheets, to make 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 fold-over envelopes:
    http://www.conservationresources.com...ction15_07.htm

I have two darkcloths for my other cameras. One is Ebony and works great on my 4x5s and one is Harrisons biggest, but I find it just big enough for my Sinar 8x10 and Wehman 8x10. Should i just make my own? Or does BTZS sell bigger ones?

I've found that black gore-tex or another lightweight cloth can make a REALLY nice dark cloth! Its easy to order from online sources, usually sold per yard.

If you have any other useful info about the format please let me know.

Have FUN

Thanks.

...Where do you store your 11x14 negatives?...
    In these:

...Should i just make my own? Or does BTZS sell bigger ones?...
    Get this one:

I too use the same jumbo Harrison as Daniel, even for my 12x20 film. I keep my exposed negs in my large supply of boxes that 11x14 paper comes in and have reams of 20# bond cut down to 11x14 at my printer and interleave each film with paper. For my 11x14, I have a Harrison and a BTZS for the 12x20. If Fred still sells the BTZS, get it. They work great.

TW

I don't shoot 11x14(yet ), but 5x7 at the moment(and loving it!) I still use my jumbo Harrison tent since I used to use(and might again in the future) 8x10 film.

But I would have NO hesitation loading 11x14 film in it once that time comes.

-Dan

I do have a Jumbo tent and it looks like it can hold bigger than 11x14. So that a thing less to buy. I will look into getting the BTZS dark cloth. And the film slips to archive my negatives.

Thanks for all the help. I hope to be shooting soon.

I have an 11x14 Cham. I store all my negatives now in bags from clearbags.com . I have a jumbo tent and it works but can usually find a dark spot somewhere when on the road. It's a fabulous camera..

Here's another source for sleeves. I bought WP sleeves from them a while back and they were great to deal with.

http://www.climaxphoto.net/store/product432.html

Roger

I'm starting to work with 11x14 (at the moment) is it worth getting the Jumbo 'Plus' tent with extra 'wings' (extensions)? Pricey, though.

Thanks.

For those using 11 x14 cameras here is a few questions.

How much different is it from using a 8x10 on location or studio? Is the experience somewhat the same.
    What quality's do you see different in the print quality between the two.

I am fortunate enough to own a mint condition 11 x14 Devere enlarger , I have only worked with 8 x10 and 4x5 for my projects on this enlarger. I love the experience of 8x10 film and the quality really suits me, would moving up to 11 x14 open another door for me in quality or experience. I immediately see the benefit of making
    11 x14 contacts which are my portfolio size , this in itself is a major bonus.
    If I was to go down this wormhole, I process my solarizations in stainless deep tanks with holders, Is there 11 x14 stainless holders out there?.
    I do have an option of Jobo processing , but I am more interested in the flash mid development which requires stainless holders.

I do not photograph rocks, trees, water , snow or mountains, All of my work is on a tripod 100 ft from the permanent darkroom or a travelling Darkroom I am building. So lugging the beast around is not a issue for me. I already own some very significant tripods for the studio work.