Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goerz 124mm f/6.8 Serie III Dagor with Waterhouse Slot from a Kodak Panoram

Goerz 124mm f/6.8 Serie III Dagor with Waterhouse Slot from a Kodak Panoram

I'm posting this here because I could find almost no information on the Web about this lens. Any additional info would be appreciated. For example, were there other early Dagors that took Waterhouse stops?

A friend recently loaned me a 4" x 12" Kodak Panoram--not sure which model number--which came fitted with the Dagor pictured below. I believe Kodak offered this lens as a premium option because the typical Panoram lens was either a rapid rectilinear or meniscus.

Jonathan

Re: Goerz 124mm f/6.8 Serie III Dagor with Waterhouse Slot from a Kodak Panoram

I have one. It illuminates my 4x5 ground glass, but I've never used it for a real neg.

Lenses in 'sunken' mounts were quite common on travel cameras, and the focal length would fit with a 9x12 or 4x5 hand camera. Several of these had focal plane shutter curtains, so the lack of a built in shutter would not be an issue. Quite how you were supposed to access the Waterhouse slot if it was inside the camera I don't know, but I wasn't uncommon for amateur cameras to work at a single aperture for walkabout snaps.

Indeed, the Panoram has two built-in shutter speeds and is primarily designed to be shot outdoors in bright light. For the first photos I took with the camera I used the f/11 stop and the slowest shutter speed, and the resulting negatives looked really good. Changing the stop is a hassle, requiring the unscrewing of the lens from the camera, but if one is shooting outdoors in unchanging daylight conditions there would be little reason to change stops during a single outing.

Here is one of the photos taken with this lens. I apologize for the poor quality of the digital file; I had to photograph the 12" wide negative on a light box because it was too big for my scanner.

Jonathan

That's rather cool. My lens was inherited from a lab, where it was paired with a contemporary 1890s tailboard camera (with a jury-rig press-fit mounting rather than a threaded ring) for taking photos of oscilloscope screens. Definitely not it's original purpose :-)

I always intended to use the thing, but the film holders I have for the tailboard leak light, and regular holders don't fit properly. Too many other projects.....

I found a Dagor series III once in what I called a "submarine periscope", but was some unknown type of optical equipment. I was about to throw the device away, when I thought I saw lettering around the lens rim, deep inside the thing.

I think some of the early series IV process Dagors were fitted for Waterhouse stops. Due to the lens mounting in that particular camera, there's no room for an iris.

What a nice outfit!
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Series III were also used as the central lens in "box" enlargers which were sold with Goerz's later small format pocket cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    What a nice outfit!
    It really is. I'm lucky to have it land in my lap, even as a loaner. Later this week I hope to find the motivation to cut some more film down to load the spools.

I am consistently amazed at how well many 100+ year-old cameras and lenses work. I can even get images from 70 year-old film. Talk about mature and durable technology.

Jonathan

Jamie Young knows quite a bit about the Kodak Panoram cameras. You might contact him for more information.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Thanks, Michael. Here is the link for future reference:

http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/camer...noram%201.html

It looks like mine is the 4D model.

Jonathan