Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Canoe Pack for 8x10

Hybrid Canoe Pack for 8x10

My Ritter is 15.5 inches wide... meaning I am having a hell of a time finding a bag for this thing.

Here is my solution: http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/hybrid.htm#

The F64 is too tight, as would the Photobackpackr going on dimensions alone.

Short of using an external frame backpack I think this is the best solution.

Thoughts?

Re: Hybrid Canoe Pack for 8x10

I use an f64 for my Ritter 8x10, it fits fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    I use an f64 for my Ritter 8x10, it fits fine.
    is it really tight though? I mean, I've seen a Deardoff barely squeeze in there and the Ritter has an inch on that. Could you post some images of your rig packed and loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    is it really tight though? I mean, I've seen a Deardoff barely squeeze in there and the Ritter has an inch on that. Could you post some images of your rig packed and loaded.
    Yeah, I can post pics when I get home. It's a tight fit but the pack is soft sided and conforms to the camera just fine. It's easy to put the camera in and take out of the pack, almost like it was made for the camera

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Interesting.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a canoe pack for a camera. I've just pulled my Navarro Loon 16 out of storage and want to restore it. It's heavily oxidized and all of the wood needs some significant help. I was planning on using it for photography and hadn't considered anything other than a thick neoprene pad in the bottom of the canoe to protect it from the Pelican cases I usually use.

Hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    Interesting.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a canoe pack for a camera. I've just pulled my Navarro Loon 16 out of storage and want to restore it. It's heavily oxidized and all of the wood needs some significant help. I was planning on using it for photography and hadn't considered anything other than a thick neoprene pad in the bottom of the canoe to protect it from the Pelican cases I usually use.

Hmmmm....
    I would think I would need to modify the pack, but the depth is nice, I could slide in film holders with room to spare. It's so annoying that it's impossible to see anything in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    Interesting.

Hmmmm....
    I still think a pelican case is a good case for canoes. Made a nice seat for little kids too. I don't think the OP was planning to canoe with it. I've got a plastic old town canoe and don't worry about damaging the floor.

I use the Trekker:

http://www.meipacks.com/ The detachable daypack holds 5 to 6 8x10 film holders -- so no room inside the pack is needed for the holders (though I can fit one or two more inside.)

The pack is listed as 14" wide, but I have my Zone VI 8x10 in it -- the width from knob to knob is 15" and I have about an inch of closed cell foam on each side. In the photo below I have the knobs up and down, but the camera also fits in with the knobs on the sides.

Such packs are designed for longer distances than a canoe pack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PackExterior.jpg   PackInterior.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    Here ya go. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406681782.874780.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	119135

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I'm with Vaughn on packs. He showed me his and now I have three MEI packs. I pack my 8x10, 11x14 and 8x20 in these. I had to get a Canoe pack for my 14x17. Search MEI packs on evil bay. They generally sell cheap. Not a lot of fluff in them but the suspension is great as are the zippers. You can customize to fit your needs.