Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lugging a 8x10 Kodak 2D around

Lugging a 8x10 Kodak 2D around

I'd like something to carry around a 8x10 Kodak 2D. I'd need to carry it a quarter mile or so. A large tote bag appeals to me, but I worry that the camera pieces (such as the extension board) will bang about in the bag. Any suggestions?

Also, how do you all store your 8x10 wooden cameras when not in use? When not in use (in my backyard) my camera goes back into its original shipping box. While not ideal it works

And yes, given a beautiful antique 8x10 camera I feel a duty to take good care of it!

Thanks all.

Re: Lugging a 8x10 Kodak 2D around

A tote bag would work fine. Use another bag, backpack or shoulder bag for your rail, film holders, meter, darkcloth etc. Then perhaps a shoulder strap for your tripod.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

It is a good point Jon about separating the components into two bags. If anyone else has creative suggestions (or even a photo!) please share.

Michael

For the Kodak 2D, I use an f64 backpack. I have hiked more than fourteen miles with that camera, with three lenses and a Reiss tripod. In my opinion, the 2D is the quintessential 8x10 field view camera.

I have put some velcro on my 5x7 Kodak 2D. It holds the extra rail to the folded rail. I'll make a photo and post it here.

I carry my stuff in a cheap beverage cooler. For added security, I place some clothing next to it in the car, like socks and walking shoes. It looks like a bag of laundry.

I have an old PowePro backpack that holds my 2-D. I can get the lens, darkcloth, loup etc and 2 fiml holders into it with the tripod strapped on.

I have another soft bag licenced from Pelican that is a little bigger and roles around.

Check out PhotoBackpacker for semi-rigid padded boxes to hold the camera, lenses and accessories that offer protection and organization and may be packed into about any bag . i HAVE A FEW PIECES ADNTHEY ARE GREAT.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I use an internal frame backpack made for camping. Much cheaper than those made for photo equipment.

I have seen a few photogs transport their ULF rigs in a jog stroller...
    Robert Oliver

I use a large bookbag type backpack. I can't recall the make, but it's a cheap one, and has two pockets. The camera fits in one pocket, the holders and a rail in the other. Just hunt around at camping and bookbag places.

For shorter distances I use an old "portable computer" bag for my D2 and a canvas bag (military?) for my Century Universal. The bag for the D2 has dividers and even an outside compartment. I can fit about four holders, the camera, two lenses and smaller odd'n ends in there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bags.jpg