Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Print Washers

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Print Washers

Several years back, when I was assembling my dark room, I purchased a Gravity Works 20x24 print washer from a local seller at a good price ($200). It was mint - still in the B&H box that it was shipped in - and all the print dividers, except for 3, still had the fly paper attached. My thinking at the time was that the 20x24 washer would work for all my prints up to 20x24 which is the largest size that I print.

Well the 20x24 will handle all my print sizes but it is a monster! I live in an apartment and getting it into the tub thru the shower door is a chore in itself and getting it out means getting into the shower with it. It must weight 300 or 400 pounds when full of water. Needless to say I found myself using it only for prints 16x20 or greater - which are few. The overwhelming majority of my prints are 8x10, 9x12, and 11x14 , and only seldom do I print larger. Tray washing is time consuming (and drudgery!) and for some processes, such as alternative printing, not very practical. For example the final wash for a salted paper print is 40 minutes after a 4 minute bath in sodium sulfite and I've been dropping the 11x12 print into a 16x20 tray in the kitchen sink with a slow stream of water on its backside. Since it take about 45 minutes to expose and process the next print this seemed to work well except that I noticed noticed a collection of bubbles on the underside (print face) upon extraction.

Then about 3 or 4 weeks ago I decided to buy an 11x14 print washer. I remember reading good reviews about the Versalab washer when I was first in the market years ago and sure enough it was advertised in eBay. Even with the recent $25 price hike it seemed to be a good bargain so I called up Laura and ordered one. After about 2 hours of assembly and another 3 or 4 hours of of shopping for the adapters to fit the kitchen nozzle, it was up and running. It's no problem to lift the unit into the kitchen sink, screw on the inlet hose, and adjust the water flow to the correct amount. The incoming water is cycled to a siphon hose located at the bottom of the washer and to the outlet. Neat!

The only hard part is emptying it. It has no drain and weighs about 100 pounds without the divider rack in place. But for me this is no problem. I simply remove the divider rack, place it aside, and lift the unit by the “lips” that conveniently encircle the top , and lift it to the edge of the counter where I can empty the water. Except for the divider rack, the washer is one piece of molded acrylic (?) and seemingly indestructible.

Anyway, I luv my Versalab 11x14 print washer and wish that I had gotten it sooner.

Thomas

Re: Print Washers

Thomas, why not just let the water siphon out, just put the little black plug in the siphon break hole. While the water is siphoning out you do other clean up in the darkroom.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Thomas, why not just let the water siphon out, just put the little black plug in the siphon break hole. While the water is siphoning out you do other clean up in the darkroom.

Roger
    Roger,

The siphon hole is at the top of the washer, not the bottom.

Thomas

Looking at one online I think one could drill a hole near the bottom and just put a rubber cork in it?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

You don't need a drain hole in the bottom of the tank. When the prints are washing the tank drain by siphon action. Use this same action to drain the tank when your done washing the prints. On mine there is a small air in the hard plastic tube near the inside edge of the tank. My Versalab came with a black rubber plug that fits in this air hole allowing you to siphon just about all of the water out of the tank. I'm out of town otherwise I would post a couple of photographs.

Roger

On my 11x14 Versalab washer, the water inlet is at the top of the washer and the outlet is a hose running from the bottom of the print washer through an exit hole near the top of the end of the print washer opposite the inlet. The outlet hose has a small hole in it with a tapered black plug. When filling the washer, fill it all the way to the top with the plug in the hole, in order to set up a siphon effect in the outlet hose. Once finished washing, put the plug back in the hole and the siphon effect will empty the washer through the outlet hose. Complete instructions for this washer are available online (search for Versalab Print Washer). You do not have to lift the full washer!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Here is the link to Versalab. http://www.versalab.com/server/photo...ts/washer1.htm

Roger

Hoping that I had somwhow missed something, I went into the bathroom where the washer is sitting on a cart drying after use this afternoon and photgraphed it. Unfortunately there are no bottom drains.

[IMG]ttp://farm6.staticflickr.com/5333/9065352458_b1bbceac15_t.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]tp://farm4.staticflickr.com/3671/9065341866_1d1078c191_t.jpg[/IMG]

Thomas

Thomas, it drains by syphon. Put the tappered plug in the siphon hole,turn on the water and the tank will drain dry. I did so this afternoon, and have for the last dozen years! It will drain, trust me! Do you see the small hole at the top near the end?

Once it starts to syphon, be sure to leave the black plug in. For 8x10 prints I ordered a couple of extra "sticks", four in all to keep the prints from floating up. It is a marvelous washer, I think you will like it!

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    On my 11x14 Versalab washer, the water inlet is at the top of the washer and the outlet is a hose running from the bottom of the print washer through an exit hole near the top of the end of the print washer opposite the inlet. The outlet hose has a small hole in it with a tapered black plug. When filling the washer, fill it all the way to the top with the plug in the hole, in order to set up a siphon effect in the outlet hose. Once finished washing, put the plug back in the hole and the siphon effect will empty the washer through the outlet hose. Complete instructions for this washer are available online (search for Versalab Print Washer). You do not have to lift the full washer!

Mike
    Thanks Mike. I can't put my hands on the instructions at the moment but I do have the black plug and it does fit into the hole at the top of the outlet. Next time I use the washer I'll try that. If it does indeed work, that will save me the effort of lifting the washer at a dead lift from the sink to empty it.

Thomas