Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss 8x10 F-line on Manfrotto 410 Geared Head

Arca Swiss 8x10 F-line on Manfrotto 410 Geared Head

I've scoured the archives, and it looks like there is a divide on whether the Manfrotto 410 the 405 is better for 8x10. Some swear the 410 is actually sturdier that the 405, others the opposite (this is the internet right? ).

So let me ask specifically with regard to an Arca Swiss 8x10 F-line. Anyone have experience with this particular combination? Is the 410 sufficient?

Thanks.

Bob

Re: Arca Swiss 8x10 F-line on Manfrotto 410 Geared Head

NO. NO. NO. Mine wasn't sufficient with long lenses on my wooden 4x5. Others say it is. Either way it's not rated for it nor will it last.

i've always thought the Big M makes terrific tripods for small cameras - but the problem is that they use small camera tripod parts to make their big tripods - which are kind of rickety in my opinion... archimedes principle and all that... get a second hand gitzo 508 or something close...

If you are buying an Arca 8x10, you might as well just buy Manfrotto and use them all. Or at least buy both of those heads and return one.

Seriously, I would get a Cube or a big Gitzo 1500 series pan-tilt head or a Ries head depending on your preferences.

I use the Gitzo head on a big Feisol tripod for my Wehman 8x10.

I used the Arca F-line(when I had it) on a Manfrotto 405.
    While it "worked", I did not find it ideal for what I hoped it would work like.

I transitioned back to using my #5 Gitzo pan/tilt head, and life was much better after that

-Dan

Why wouldn't you get an Arca Swiss head to go with an Arca Swiss camera? If you have any money left I mean....

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Seaman View Post
    Why wouldn't you get an Arca Swiss head to go with an Arca Swiss camera? If you have any money left I mean....
    Well, that's certainly a factor. I got a really good deal on the 8x10, but I also just pulled the trigger on a Gitzo 5 series tripod to take advantage of the current rebates, so the cash reserves are currently low

I do have an AS B1 that I use for my 4x5, but I'm not sure it is up to the task of 8x10, though I suppose it will do in a pinch. An AS cube just seems over the top. Been looking for a used B2 or Z2, but haven't seen anything recently, but I'm not in a real hurry, so maybe something will turn up. Searching the archives I saw a lot of positive comments about the Manfrotto geared heads, hence the question.

Bob

I have the Z1 and it works fine with an 8x10 Arca Swiss. I think that has similar specs to the B1, right?

Quote Originally Posted by James Morris View Post
    I have the Z1 and it works fine with an 8x10 Arca Swiss. I think that has similar specs to the B1, right?

Yes, I think the specs are basically the same between the Z1 and the B1. That's good to know that the 8x10 AS is OK on that head.

I used an older 8x10 Arca on a B1 and it held fine but I probably wouldn't aim it down at a 60 degree angle and not expect it to creep. But with the light tripods that people tend to use that's a challenge for anything.