View Poll Results: Should nudes be allowed in Portrait threads ?

Voters
177. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

93 52.54%
  • No

84 47.46%
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Should nudes be allowed in Portrait threads?

Re: Should nudes be allowed in Portrait threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    What about a photo of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden (modern image).
    They would be naked, but that's not the focus of the shot.

There are innumerable documentary images of native tribes around the world who are unclothed, but that's not the reason for
    taking the picture. Of course this is more commonly encountered in the Amazon than in Alaska.

- Leigh
    And which of those narrow cases motivated the nudity of the photos in the nude thread?

Everybody has different lines. Spouting off about where the lines should be isn't going to move them, especially when the people who draw lines where you don't aren't even participants here. But it might preclude participation from those who don't want to offend those who might be looking over their shoulder. I look at the forum every week in airport lobbies and public restaurants and coffee shops. I can't control who's looking, and they may be unwilling to accept my views on what art should allow. But if they complained, I could be fired--federal regulation governs my behavior while traveling on official business, which is much of the time, even when I'm off the clock. A perusal through recent headlines should enumerate potential consequences. Leigh, you should understand that, given where you live and the likely employment of many of your neighbors.

I do not open the Nudes thread except at home, or in places where I'm sure nobody will see it and misconstrue my intentions. I can't live in isolation from society, no matter what their views.

Rick "who was nevertheless not the one who started this line of discussion" Denney

As we age, we can grow a larger world. Most of us live in a world which diminishes us.

Marfa, where it is easy to be off the grid... 11 to 17 miles from concrete is what my driver said. If you go slowly, both get you there...

And offline for the next few months, wish you all a great time.

Widows and Orphans Beware

All portraits are nudes, just in some there are clothes over the nude part.

Seriously, I just don't get the objection to nudes. If the nudity makes you feel uncomfortable, explore the source of the discomfort, it surely is not in the photo itself. More often than not, I find stupid comments about photos of nudes more offensive than any picture I've seen posted here.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Michael, I haven't noticed anyone in this thread saying they were uncomfortable or offended by nude imagery. Over and over it's been noted that it simply isn't appropriate to have it on your screen in quite a few situations. Perhaps you're perfectly comfortable having images of a woman in crotchless black leather chaps spreading her vagina over a toilet (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...raits&p=497653) on your monitor as friends, co-workers, small children, and strangers look over your shoulder, but it's reasonable for others to want to participate in this forum at work or in public places without such images popping up by surprise.

But if you really think all such images are appropriate at all times, perhaps you could load the image mentioned above as your monitor background at work and on your children's computer?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I read this forum from many locations, some of which have people walking by. I don't want photographs with a naked person in it to pop up on the screen. For instance, right now I'm visiting my 81 year old mother, and I'm reading (and posting to) the forum from her computer. This issue does not involve nudes versus portraits versus labeling versus censorship..... No one here is suggesting banning pictures of naked people. It's about having some social grace.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I read this forum from many locations, some of which have people walking by. I don't want photographs with a naked person in it to pop up on the screen. For instance, right now I'm visiting my 81 year old mother, and I'm reading (and posting to) the forum from her computer. This issue does not involve nudes versus portraits versus labeling versus censorship..... No one here is suggesting banning pictures of naked people. It's about having some social grace.
    Well put. I agree.

If we tried to develop community/forum standards for what is acceptable, the exercise would become absurd. For example:
    Breasts are not allowed except when they are of a male who is not a transvestite.
    Female breasts are not allowed unless the model/subject is of an Amazonian tribe (Salgado)
    Under 18 female breasts not allowed unless they are your children and your last name is Mann
    or its on a nudist beach and your last name is Sturges.
    This is an exercise in absurdity.
    Why not just make all images thumbnails, and the viewer would chose to see larger version? Technically, this may be easier to implement than someone having to determine community standards of decency.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I wish folks would read this quoted posting before responding!

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Been to any Islamic countries?
    Yes, I have been to Islamic countries.

David

Lurker

From what I understand; the rules about nudity in most countries are clear, just as it was written above about being rude in Japan to show pubic hair. In the US, a lot of people are obsessed with nudity but fear being seen at a airport looking at bare breast on their own laptop, or a co-worker walking by and seeing the same.

Sandy, I will not address your points as they are rude and discussing Islamic is irrelevant. Linking my statement with the woman being beaten is ludicrous.

David