Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon Artist-in-Residence.

Grand Canyon Artist-in-Residence.

Looks like I'm on the AIR list for 2013. Just got to get fitted into a time slot. Very glad to be picked. Anyone got thoughts on when the best time to spend three weeks on the South Rim? I'm thinking the Spring during the moonrise/moonset cycle. Any info/suggestions?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7278.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	96893

Still processing film from eight days in the desert at Shiprock last week.

Re: Grand Canyon Artist-in-Residence.

Good for you. BTW, sorry I missed you when you came through. I was up in Northern NM working some assignments.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Wow, congrats! I did not know they even did that, might have to try out for 2014. I would opt for Spring or Winter personally...

Congratulations, Robert!

I didn't know that you could apply for a gig like that. Tell us more on links for who to contact.

I am impressed that you have this opportunity.
    al

Very cool Robert, congrats!
    Wish I could say I have been there enough to voice an opinion on when is the best time.

I am very pleased for you Robert just goes to show what dedication can bring.

Thanks. I'd applied for this twice before. They require that you sign up with CAFE.com. (Call For Entry). You end up posting your image bank, resume, et online and they send you updates on all the shows and opportunities that there are to apply to. Pretty simple. You have to apply and usually pay a fee for the ones you want to apply to. I've usually got a couple of applications out.

Most AIR gigs don't pay money but they do give you a place to stay for a few weeks or a month to work. They usually require that you give some public presentations and donate a work of art, at minimum. There are a lot of them nationwide and many are NOT on the CAFE site, you have to hunt them down individually. I'm still up for a couple. Grand Canyon had 200+ applications for 24 slots but that AIR is one of the really sought after ones.

I've got a couple of canyon-specific projects I am rattling around. Also thinking of trying to get a little corporate sponsorship for film, equipment, money, et. Never hurts to ask. I'll keep yakking about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7694.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	96910

Kirk ought to chime in. He was AIR at Canyons of the Ancients last year, and has a slot at Petrified Forest this season. I'm just a wandering babe in the AIR wilderness compared to him!

joseph

Well done...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    Kirk ought to chime in. He was AIR at Canyons of the Ancients last year, and has a slot at Petrified Forest this season. I'm just a wandering babe in the AIR wilderness compared to him!
    Yes I have done one at Canyon of the Ancients that became a big deal because I was the first official one for the BLM. I wasn't aware of this when I applied but only when they sent a Pr guy out to photograph me and write a PR piece. It was a great experience. They put me up at a really nice B&B. Later when the posters came (see below) out I got this email from my favorite author Craig Childs:
    Hi, Kirk, I just got a stack of posters and saw your ruin image on one. Congratulations, it's beautiful. This program originated with Amy Irvine and me. We've since passed all the work on to people at the BLM, but it arose from a conversation a few years ago when Amy and I were pushing for the BLM to bring artists and writers into the fold. We put together a proposal and it's exciting to see that good stuff came out of it. Craig

Subsequently I applied for two more and got them both. Coming up in August is at Petrified Forest NP.

I have never had to pay a fee but had to write a proposal and yes had to give a talk. My third one which I can't talk about yet has a stipend, but for the others I pre-sold some prints to people who collect my work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 394171_10200993618112628_1251560696_n.jpg  
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"