Thread: Kodak 2D 8x10 camera with process lenses - lazy setup

Kodak 2D 8x10 camera with process lenses - lazy setup

Hi All,

I have my Kodak 2D 8x10 camera set up with a process lens. I would like to use multiple barrel lenses with this camera and would like the 'laziest' set up possible. Meaning, I would rather not use a different 6"x6" lens board with each lens. Anyone have a clever lens board set up to show off? I'm unclear if my only alternative is a universal iris... I know that the Sinar cameras have a good set up for barrel lenses...

Thanks,
    Michael

Re: Kodak 2D 8x10 camera with process lenses - lazy setup

Yes, indeed. See this thread for an example of a Universal Lens Holder. If you Google-image 'universal lens holder' there are some more examples. (Sometimes it is difficult to know what keywords to search for.)

If you want to use multiple, ie different barrel lenses of different diameters you'll have to splurge for a lens clamp (or universal iris)
    they're probably the best but spendy 'lazy' way to mount a lens.
    I don't see any way to do a 'lazy' set up without multiple boards with different sized holes.

I have a 2-D set up with a lensboard adapter that accepts Toyo/Linhoff style boards (4x4). The longer lenses for 4x5 just snap onto the 8x10. That way they store small but work big.

I have seen similar lensboard adapters to mount Sinar boars if that is the way you want to go.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Here's a 5x7 Kodak 2D with an old process lens in barrel, front-mounted on an Alphax shutter.

S.K. Grimes made the front-mount adapter which fits the lens into the shutter perfectly. Other lenses can also be mounted, as long as they aren't too wide.

The Alphax shutter has no diaphragm, so vintage lenses keep their vintage shutters, with many blades. Like a Sinar Copal shutter, it is self-cocking.

Very interesting Ken. Thank you very much for sharing.