Thread: Where to shoot in the Tanglewood, MA area

Where to shoot in the Tanglewood, MA area

Will be in this area over the long/long 4th wknd -- with a car -- any suggestions -- no specific categories -- just shooting my 5x7 DD with HP5...thanx

Re: Where to shoot in the Tanglewood, MA area

In western MA?

If you like motorsports, http://limerock.com/index.php?option...d=57&Itemid=59
    Limerock's the place to enjoy it up close. I've photographed with my 4x5 there.

The whole berkshires area of western MA and CT has plenty of woodsy/rural/quaint areas to enjoy and photograph. Even quarries if you're a burtinski fan. Clarence H White had a photo school in Canaan CT, probably a mix of following the $ and seeking nature.

Williams College campus has some nice architecture. The Hancock Shaker Village outside Pittsfield is outstanding but I think tripods are not allowed - I shoot digital there. A bit further on just over the MA/NY state line is another Shaker village remnant that is nice, and unregulated (I forget the name). Check for nearby mill towns if classic New England mills appeal to you - North Adams comes to mind but there may be some closer to Lenox.

I love Tanglewood but have not been photographically inspired by anything on site.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Thanx, guys.

I don't have a good sense of the distances to the Shaker sites from Lenox, but here is a good website if they interest you: http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/shaker/northeastern.htm. For a book of large format photographs taken at various sites, Linda Butler's "Inner Light - The Shaker Legacy" gives you a sense of what they are like. I was on a Shaker "kick" many years ago, and at that point you could use tripods at Hancock Shaker Village, but it was so long ago that regulations may well have changed.

If you like photographing waterfalls, Bash-Bish Falls in Mt. Washington State Park is unique and not that far.

You can just drive around the surrounding towns: as JP498 said, the whole area is beautiful.

These photos were made in Lenox/Stockbridge back in 2004 within an hour or so. (4x5 Arca Swiss Discovery, 240mm Fujinon A)