Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8X10 Lens advice required

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Re: 8X10 Lens advice required

MAKING a properly aligning and adjusting 8x10 may actually be your weakest link....
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

For me, 159mm feels about like a 24mm equivalent. So any of the three modern wides with 400mm coverage will work for you, or the 150 SSXL. (For me, though, that's barely wide enough.)

From 165mm to 210mm, you're looking at some rare classic lenses that I believe barely cover the format. Once you hit 210mm, ordinary plasmats barely cover, and the SA, the Grandagon, the SSXL, and the Computar all cover in spades. I think 210mm feels like 30mm-equivalent in small format.

I've never used a 240, but it seems like a reasonable focal length to work with.

Long lenses will determine your bellows draw. I think you want a 600mm to be an 85mm-equivalent, and if I was going to shoot that length again I'd go with a telephoto again. Otherwise you need gorilla arms to see your front movements in closer compositions. Consensus of those who've shot both in the archives is that the Schneider tele is better than the Nikkor at 600mm, but you're talking expensive lenses here. I was happy with the Nikkor at 600mm.

If you're really going to build a camera, and intend to use short and long lenses, build it so it focuses on both standards to avoid future pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Greenhalgh View Post
    Hi Anton

Which side of the pond is your penthouse? If it's the European side I have a suitable lens I don't want a great deal for.
    Hello Ian

The bottom tip of Africa is my side of the pond...I would love to know more though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Check out the Schneider 150 XL, very highly regarded lens.

Jon
    Thanks Jon

Googled it, saw the price...nearly started crying...LOL

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

A 121mm Super Angulon is inexpensive, superwide, and just barely covers straight on. A 165mm Angulon is inexpensive, very wide, and covers at small stops - with soft corners, but not that you would notice on a contact print.

The 159mm Wollensak is definitely small, I've yet to use mine but if it performs well it's a fraction of the size and weight of my 165mm Super Angulon and ill be useful. I bought it to use the shutter with a Turner Reich.

Ian

I am toying with the idea of building a 8x10 view camera
    Yes, there are people who have made attractive, well functioning cameras.
    But not many. This one area where DIY is not the most sensible use of time unless you have access to all the materials and necessary tools.