Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Re: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Once again I think this dude is incredible... I imagine with his fortitude he will take his time and process out each sheet himself, contact each sheet himself, and print each image himself.

I am in awe of his whole project.
    Pretty sure that's his plan. He father even hinted to me to open up my darkroom to him.

That's a possibility, but I do live here and have no extra bedroom, only a small couch...

Greg mentioned finding a darkroom closer to Boston.

I figure unless he finds a production darkroom, with some way of speeding up developing he has months of just developing work everyday.

10 4up hangers a day is 40 negs a day.

A method might be to examine and sleeve 40 negs each morning. Develop 40 in tanks and hangers in afternoon and dry at night.

Some might say faster, but to preserve sanity 8 hour days may be plenty, over a 3 month program.

Then select 10% and start printing. Thats 200 prints. Which could take another month or much longer.

Oops, now we need to matt and bag at least. Framing?

Obviously a big job regardless.

Greg also mentioned grad school, which I bet he does.

I don't think many 1st year grad students get to complete an old project. But all things Art are mutable.

I offered to write him a letter of recommendation for Grad school. He is considering many schools.

He needs to get home safe right now. He just passed EMLENTON, PA, on way to New Haven.
    Tin Can

Well as far as kickstarters this is right up there with Bill Schwabs efforts with photostock.. something we could all help in our small ways.

I see a lot of projects in a given year and from the get go this journey has much promise for a grand show or book.

Well as far as kickstarters this is right up there with Bill Schwabs efforts with photostock.. something we could all help in our small ways.

I see a lot of projects in a given year and from the get go this journey has much promise for a grand show or book.
    Exactly.

Greg has many options. Last time I saw him, I advised him to consider his end product. No advise on what he SHOULD do, but to just think about it.

He has a lot to work with, both with his images and his skills. He also knows way more photo history than I ever will.

It will be interesting!
    Tin Can

Randy -- Photo History--- It all started with Drew and it will all end with Drew... what else is there to know.

Randy -- Photo History--- It all started with Drew and it will all end with Drew... what else is there to know.
    Easterner meets Westerner.

I'll stay out of that.
    Tin Can

Many blessings come in the knowledge of those who inhabit this corner of web space.

My brain was stuck in tank line, chemistry volume, and replenishment mode. Had not processed the time factor.

Hmmm more things to ponder.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Greg mentioned finding a darkroom closer to Boston.
    Greg is welcome to use my darkroom if he needs a place to develop his film or make some prints. I'm in Amherst, NH. I've got a Jobo if need be, though taking the time and developing by inspection might be the better option.

Greg completed his return trek two days ago, December 24, 2014, ending up from where he started on July 9, 2013 ... Nashua, New Hampshire.

Total miles walked was 12,658 ... return trip totaled 3,764 miles. There were several stretches where Greg averaged over 30 miles per day. He walked 52 miles on Tuesday, December 23, 2014 so he could make it home on Christmas eve.

He took somewhere over 1500 4x5 black and white photos that he has periodically mailed home that are still waiting for him to develop. He has close to 360 color 4x5 photos that were sent directly to a lab for processing during the trip - he will be seeing those for the first time this week.

Greg plans to enroll at the New England School of Photography in Boston, Massachusetts in the upcoming term to begin processing his images.

All-in-all, an absolutely incredible accomplishment.

Great accomplishment , I wish Greg all the best in his future photographic endeavors. I think he put all the doubters to shame....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    Greg completed his return trek two days ago, December 24, 2014, ending up from where he started on July 9, 2013 ... Nashua, New Hampshire.

Total miles walked was 12,658 ... return trip totaled 3,764 miles. There were several stretches where Greg averaged over 30 miles per day. He walked 52 miles on Tuesday, December 23, 2014 so he could make it home on Christmas eve.

He took somewhere over 1500 4x5 black and white photos that he has periodically mailed home that are still waiting for him to develop. He has close to 360 color 4x5 photos that were sent directly to a lab for processing during the trip - he will be seeing those for the first time this week.

Greg plans to enroll at the New England School of Photography in Boston, Massachusetts in the upcoming term to begin processing his images.

All-in-all, an absolutely incredible accomplishment.

Yes, congratulations Greg. A plan well executed and mission accomplished.

That final day of 52 miles must have been a real march.

I am very glad he made it home safe and sound.
    Tin Can