Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Widows and Orphans Beware

Re: Silent cross country walking trip with a 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi brian

its obvious he is LOADED because he is using a large format camera and film.
    as we all know, a 4x5 + film are ONLY used by the well off, not to mention the cards he plans on using to communicate
    with people, they must have cost a fortune!

john
    Darn right! Did you see that camera, a Calumet c400? Nothing but top of the line gear. I should know, I just sold one on ebay for $49.00. You gotta be in the top 1 percent to have that kind of scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Seaman View Post
    Have you ever met any Yale grads?

(I meant bowed before their greatness?)
    I sure have. One of my closest friends was a graduate with an Masters in theatre (playwriting). Worked as a bartender in a dive in the lower east side all his life. Passed away two years ago. One of the most humble, honest, down to earth, not to mention funny, loyal and not rich people that I have ever known.

I'm dumbfounded by the number of negative, mean spirited and judgmental comments about this kid. I applaud him and wish that I had been aware of this project in time to have donated some money and an old Calumet c400 to his effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_4514 View Post
    Darn right! Did you see that camera, a Calumet c400? Nothing but top of the line gear. I should know, I just sold one on ebay for $49.00. You gotta be in the top 1 percent to have that kind of scratch.
    He is NOT taking a calumet c400 he is taking along a Chamonix 045f1 thats a $1000+ body. He got the new camera after the kickstarter project. The purchase of the camera is noted on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Greg...ocation=stream
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I tend to analyze all this story from a different angle: being a female and living in Brazil would definetely forbid me to launch in such adventure (maybe that's why it sounds so romantic and attractive to me).
    I don't see the point of not talking, but it's his life, his journey... I wish him good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    He is NOT taking a calumet c400 he is taking along a Chamonix 045f1 thats a $1000+ body. He got the new camera after the kickstarter project. The purchase of the camera is noted on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Greg...ocation=stream
    Yup ... he did buy a Chamonix for the trip ... at less than a third the cost of an Ebony ... and 1/2 the weight of a Calumet (which is apparently worth $49 at market value) ... I guess maybe that Yale education did come in handy.

Lunatics with impractically large cameras... isn't that kind of our mission statement here?

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

SF Bay Area 94303

Don't dump on the Calumet. Built like a main battle tank and really not all that heavy, especially if you don't use a boat anchor lens. The problem with 4x5 is not the camera, it is all other falderal you have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    Lunatics with impractically large cameras... isn't that kind of our mission statement here?

Marc!
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

6-WEEK UPATE:

Gregg has covered approximately 670 miles ... south from New Hampshire, through Massachusetts and Connecticut, across the bottom tip of New York, across Pennsylvania and is now south of Andover, Ohio .. about 20 miles to his scheduled stop in Youngstown, Ohio (where his aunt lives.)

He plans to turn south to Louisiana and across to Texas during the winter months, then head north to Colorado, west through Salt Lake City and San Francisco then south to Los Angeles with an anticipated arrival in July 2014.

He's still not talking but has been communicating by writing notes.

He has mailed one 50-sheet box of undeveloped 4x5 film back to his father and some color film to a processor who contacted Gregg's father to tell him they turned out and were perfectly exposed.

If you'd like to follow his progress and read stories from those who've come in contact with him ... here's the link to the Facebook page his family set up: LINK