Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The film holder nightmare we all dread and what to do

hacker extraordinaire

Re: The film holder nightmare we all dread – and what to do

Partially-reinserting the darkslide makes me cringe. In my experience, that INCREASES the chances of a light leak, rather than decreasing it. Also, it's too easy to stick it in too far and cut off some of the image. And third, the dark-cloth should be draped over the camera back and darkslide; hard to do that with the darkslide sticking out. Fourth, you spun the wind-catching properties of an extended darkslide as a feature, but i prefer to use something not attached to the camera to monitor the breeze. My bellows are enough of a sail. Fifth, I often use the darkslide either as a shutter or as a sun-shade.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I number all of my film holders and keep an exposure record. If I have any question about whether something was shot, I refer to my record. If you haven't tracked it, there is no way to know if the darkslides haven't been flipped.

--Gary

All my darkslides are numbered. My default film is Delta 100 but I may have Ortho or HP5 in play, so the film type is penciled in as well. Holder start with the darkslide up in plastic bags. When both sheets have been exposed (odd number side first) the holder goes in the bag upside down. This makes it easier to tell by feel which holders are fresh. Notes go in the bag. In the darkroom empty slides are stored with the base flaps out inside the bags. Never put empty holders in the ready use bag...you only have to take them into the darkroom to check for film 8-)

I also keep a 6x9 roll film back around - better that than giving up on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Partially-reinserting the darkslide makes me cringe. In my experience, that INCREASES the chances of a light leak, rather than decreasing it. Also, it's too easy to stick it in too far and cut off some of the image. And third, the dark-cloth should be draped over the camera back and darkslide; hard to do that with the darkslide sticking out. Fourth, you spun the wind-catching properties of an extended darkslide as a feature, but i prefer to use something not attached to the camera to monitor the breeze. My bellows are enough of a sail. Fifth, I often use the darkslide either as a shutter or as a sun-shade.
    All of your statements are noted and respected, but I simply don't agree. First, I've had leaks happen with the slides out, but never with them in. A few of my holders have a slight bow to the trap opening which looks like a sure fire invitation for a leak and that's what got me started doing things this way.

Second, I totally agree, but that is just a matter of paying attention.

Third, while I agree in principle, I find the dark cloth over the back to be a burden to deal with in handling the holders and slide in/slide out operations (kind of like the changing bag versus tent debate) and a total invitation for the least breeze to jar the camera due to the greatly increased surface area.

Fourth, I want to see what's happening to the camera surfaces, not something even a few feet away which may not be getting the same breeze.

And fifth, I could not agree more, but I always have an extra dark slide or two in my bag which I use for those purposes as well as for back ups if one should be damaged.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

For me, the only answer is to develop all exposed and possibly exposed negatives. I've been using large format for 30 years, and I still accidentally put the slide back in with the white side out - maybe once every five or so years. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Remington View Post
    Lots of advice but no answers. Well, one.
    I didn't see an answer in your comment either.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Any tips to share about managing multiple holders? Do you use more than one safeguard?
    It's pretty simple, really.

Just put exposed holders in the pouch upside down.

As others have mentioned, number all holders and always use them in sequence.

These are pretty basic protocols.

As for "the film holder nightmare we all dread", I've never experienced any similar problem in 58 years of shooting.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

SF Bay Area 94303

Answer to original question. You are hosed. Time to go home with six exposures. Develop all and be happy. How could anyone make a decent exposure not knowing whether it was going to be one of the double exposures? K

If that happened to me, which fortunately it never has, I'd pack up and go home. Better to have three photographs than none.

In addition to all the usual precautions, I keep holders in zip lock bags. If neither sheet in the holder has been exposed I keep the holder right-side up in the bag. If there's at least one exposed sheet in the holder I keep the holder upside down in the bag.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    I didn't see an answer in your comment either.
    So what.