Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I shoot Large Format

Re: Why I shoot Large Format

I have always been a LF photographer -- even starting out with my first camera -- a Rolleiflex. I discovered that I was using it like a LF camera even before I ever touched a 4x5.

Print quality. I think there is a sweet spot between 5x7 and 8x10 that produces beautiful prints. Bigger is not better, smaller is worse.

I'm sorry for coming back to this, but I wanted to type about it.

I started in college when the photo bug bit me (is it the shutter fly?) and I started with 35mm (2004ish). By the end of my second darkroom class, I had bought a Seagull TLR medium format camera and I loved the image quality I was getting. Everybody asked me what kind of film I asked until the teacher told everybody it was medium format. I tried to enroll in a large format advanced class at my school, but there were no more spots, or at least, not enough cameras to go around. So I was left hanging.

I've always been interested in the technical side of things, so when I saw how technical it was to do a lot of large format, I was hooked. Then I graduated college and didn't have a darkroom. I do have a pretty decent digital slr with some good lenses, I've done a number of weddings and I like my digital work, but part of me feels guilty about how separated I am from my images. I can't see them as they come along. Sure, I see an image on the back of my camera, I hold a CF card, I see the photo on the screen and adjust manually until I find what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll get it printed, but it just feels too hands off to be called art in my opinion. I feel only by doing one of the more traditional processes (that is still somewhat convenient) can I really do justice to what I'm doing and confidently call it art.

It might not be a big surprise then, that I've taken up painting in the last year. It really is fun to come up with something in your head and put it on a canvas without it existing before.

Either way, any darkroom work is therapeutic for me. I always enjoyed getting up before certain darkroom classes starting, turning on an NPR classical music station, and printing while other students slowly filtered in over the next few hours.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.