Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a New 8x10

a New 8x10

Hi,

I decided to invest in a new 8x10 camera as of tonight. I've been using a 1890 ROC Carlton for a while and the non standard back and the pinhole filled bellows has been pissing me off a little, not to mention very limited movements. I have decided that i will be spending $1300 or so on this camera so my options are

1)A used good condition Deardorff 2)Brand new Tachihara double extension 3)shen-hao (haven't seen the 8x10 version being sold in N. America)

I really want a nice camera this time. Something that wont piss me off with problems

What is your opinion on this?

a New 8x10

Rebuild your camera, replace the bellows with rubber, add a standard back

a New 8x10

I would recommend the new Tachihara double extension. It is new, it has definatly the best ground glass ( with an included fresnell), and it has bellows long enough for a 450 mm lens and close-ups with the 300 and 240 mm lenses. When I had had it for six years I got the idea to "upgrade" it for a Deardroff and paid almost the triple amount for a new "Dorff", one of the last Jack made. It was OK as an investment I found out when sold it in Germany two years later. But as a camera to take photograps it had only one advance over the Tachihara; it had a good upwards shift on the front, a plus when photographing buildings. The rigidity of the "Dorff" left a lot to wish for and I ordered a Tachihara ground glass for it as soon as I started use it. But it was god looking: all that mahagony and polished steel. Now I have a Pillips Advanced Series; light, ugly, simple to use, very rigid an with a Tachihara ground glass. But you have to wait two years at least for a Phillips.

a New 8x10

I once had a dealer ship me a Deardorff and after two days I sent it back. Gawd but that thing was heavy! I ordered the double extension Tachihara and now I can go two or three miles with that thing on my back. With the Deardorff, which admittedly was more sturdy and rigid, I couldn't carry it more than about 50 ft. I use 19" Artar and 12" Dagor lenses on it. I can't get too close with the Artar (maybe ten feet) but since I don't do commercial work I don't need to. You should bear in mind that there is no on-axis tilt or shift movement on either standard with the Tachihara, but I have not found this to be a problem. If you need those movements you might want to lean toward the Shen-Hao.

a New 8x10

The Shen-Hao 8x10 is being listed by Midwest Photo, in Columbus, Ohio. http://www.mpex.com/

a New 8x10

The Shen hao might be a little bit pricey. It costs the same as the triple extension Tachihara at Midwest Photo.

a New 8x10

A key here might be your use of the word "invest". That would mean a Dorff. Unlike other posters, I find that a 18/19 inch lens is not all that long. While lighter, a double extension would not be long enought for me. Look carefully at your use of other lenses in other formats. Anticipate room to grow.

Now a Phillips or a Canham will give you the extension and be more rigid than a Dorff at a greater cost. Rigid is a fleeting thing when racked out to 30 inches.

a New 8x10

I can only comment on the Tachihara. I used one for several years and, apart from it being a bit heavy, had absolutely no problems with it. Before the Tachihara I used a Wisner Traditional which I disliked for a number of reasons. I have since replaced the Tachihara with a Phillips Compact II.

a New 8x10

I've never used a 8x10 Tachi, but I'm quite happy with my 'dorff and have never felt the need to "switch horses."

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

wfwhitaker

a New 8x10

I have to throw my vote in for the Kodak Masterview. An excellent design, it is both simple to operate and reasonably rigid at extension. Mine has the Tachihara ground glass installed which is a pleasure to use. Used models show up occasionally. Midwest is currently listing one within your price constraint.