Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommended source for bellows and installation on a Century Studio portait camera

Re: Recommended source for bellows and installation on a Century Studio portait came

Randy, did you just purchase that varnished 8x10 back on ebay about a month ago?

Re: Recommended source for bellows and installation on a Century Studio portait came

Quote Originally Posted by big_ben_blue View Post
    If you go through the Ansco/Agfa catalogs on the cameraexcentrics (sp?) site, you'll notice that they charged a whole lot more than just 20% premium for gray paint. The company execs probably laughed all the way to the bank, because they not only got to charge extra for ugly surplus "deluxe" paint, but they had also found a way to use all the substandard only-good-for-kindling wood underneath without anyone noticing. How do I know? Well, I was stupid enough to strip one of the gray Ansco stands for giving it a nice natural finish. Had to quickly abandon that idea after seeing what lurked underneath all that thick paint :-( . The wood looked like it came straight from recycled shipping pallets.

Well they did offer to nickle plate the hardware and provide a red leather bellows My Catalog from 1958 show the price as $193.00 Varnished and $325.00 Painted.

No, more like 9 months ago and not eBay, I think APUG. It has no name on it and I bought by comparing exact dimensions. It is in VGC condition. I did need to put a new GG, I think it was missing. I forget things.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundlach View Post
    Randy, did you just purchase that varnished 8x10 back on ebay about a month ago?

Real Ansco backs are hard to find, I have a grey one. I bid on a varnished Ansco back and lost.

Now, I remember. It was eBay about 9 months ago. It was a an unconsummated sale where the 'winner' did not pay and I was offered second chance. I got it for 20% under the non-paid sale price.

Notice the 2 silver spots on the stand uprights, which are galvanized lag bolts I put them in to draw the split wood of the stand uprights back together. The glue had failed and the 2 pieces were warping apart. I used new galvanized lag bolts with washers to match age and patina.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN3396.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	102984