Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help with a Mac Pro

Re: Help with a Mac Pro

Here is my basic question, with the following equipment how should I set it up?
    Mac Pro 12 core, 32RAM, Nvidia 4000, ATI HD 5770, 2 high end NEC PA 241W monitors. The monitors have the Spectraview II calibration.

1. Use the 4000 alone
    2. Use the 5770 alone
    3. Use both with the monitors connected via the mini-DP's on the back of the 5770, connected to the DP input on the PA 241. That is the question I have been trying to answer, and the information is all over the map.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

If you aren't doing video or 3D or using some other pro software that puts big demands on the GPU, there's no reason to have more than one video card.

Video cards make very little diference to Photoshop. There are some features that use the GPU, but they are only related to screen animations and display; they have nothing to do with processing your actual file. Many high end users disable GPU acceleration in Photoshop, because they find it causes problems. I don't have problems with it; I find it speeds up the display of a handful of features. I have an older, low-end card, and it makes these features instantaneous; nothing would be gained from a faster card. Unless future versions of PS make greater demands on the GPU.

There is no point in keeping the Quadro unless your using pro video, 3D, or visualization software that's written specifically to take advantage of it. It offers no benefits to Photoshop or even to 3D games. It's just a power hungry toaster with big fans leeching off your Mac. It's worth good money to people who need it. Sell it and buy something usful. The 5770 will serve you well.

paulr, Thanks, I'm going to play around with it to see if I can actually see a difference. So far I can not. I know I am not taxing the machine or Photoshop at all. My main concern is getting my monitors to display the best they possibly can. They look great, calibrating was VERY EASY.

Bill

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Bill, 70's military B&W View Post
    I'm going to play around with it to see if I can actually see a difference. So far I can not.
    Right, there shouldn't be any differences between video cards in how the monitors look. From software to the monitors everything is digital; if your calibration and profile is the same display should be identical.