Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trick Thieves in European Cities

Re: Trick Thieves in European Cities

Not long before he died, Herbert Keppler (the editor of Popular Photography) was robbed of his photography gear while at a sidewalk cafe in Madrid.
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

I lost an SLR and three lenses while on a train between France and Germany a couple of years ago. My bag was in the overhead rack directly above me and all the thief did was put his bag next to mine, rummage for ten to fifteen seconds and then go and sit down. He got off at the next stop along with the gear he had transferred from my bag to his. The railway people had warned about pick-pockets but to me that meant someone stealing my wallet from my coat, not the procedure they actually used. The useless unlockable Lowepro backpack has been replaced by a much smaller Pacsafe bag that can sit on my lap when travelling and has lockable zips to prevent dipping fingers. Instead of six lenses I now only take a superzoom, a fast prime and a good wide. Less weight means less temptation to take the bag off my shoulder or leave it in a hotel room.

I lost 5 Canon DSLRs a laptop and lots of lenses whilst having a meal in the African bush.

15 mins after reporting it, a truck turned up with 6 fully armed anti poaching police/trackers and they were off with torches into the bush. In the morning I was notified that they had tracked them 20km to a main road. 4 days later I was told that they had told the famlies that the thiefs should hand themselves in by midnight at the local police station or the armed trackers were going after them at first light.

The following morning I went down to the local police station and was given all my equipment back!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I'm glad I'm going to Barcelona in about 2 weeks and won't be anywhere near Denmark.....
    I'll be there in three weeks, covering a music festival.

Barcelona is a huge tourist destination, so it also carries the usual thieves associated with such places. pickpockets, scammers, etc. For anyone visiting Barca, be wary of people coming around your table (where you're having coffee, brunch, etc) and distributing leaflets. The hand under the leaflets usually picks up your mobile phone or anything you have left on the table.

If we're discussing European cities, I have to say that Athens is one of the safest cities around. Just try not to totally look like a tourist (universal advice, ain't it?).

Roma pickpockets, boys, outside the Louvre with clipboards and a fake petition. Don't take them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1658.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	94315 Shiprock, Afternoon shadow across the pulpit.

Yes, Europe is very dangerous. Best not to travel there... ;-)

Cheers from Germany,
    Andreas
    To infinity - and beyond...

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    If you are walking down a sidewalk and someone off to the side says, "Excuse me, sir?" I smile and keep walking.
    I dunno, Garrett, I once had a very interesting conversation Rome that started that way. A priest addressed me. It turned out that he was a professor of geography. That's one of my fields and he'd been a classmate of one of my teachers. We had a long chat on problems in mathematical geography. One never knows ...

Well, I mean take some other factors into consideration. I'll talk to folks and enjoy doing so.

Better not leave home wherever you are.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdecus View Post
    Yes, Europe is very dangerous. Best not to travel there... ;-)

Cheers from Germany,
    Andreas
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

I live in Spain and have traveled a lot. As long as you are aware of what you are doing you are fine in most places. Just a little common sense is needed.