Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What new things would you like to see in LF lenses?

Andrew Moxom

Re: What new things would you like to see in LF lenses?

A modern, and cheaper version of a Dallmeyer 3b patent portrait lens.

AF certainly has appeal. but I wouldn't change cameras to get it.

I think some more minor features would be good. I'm looking for convenience and reliability more than absolute optical perfection.

I tire of non-standard filter/hoods; contemporary threaded and cokin/lee style filters+compendium would be nice.
    I'd like a wollensak monster studio shutter drop-in-replacement with contemporary materials, multiple speeds, and X-sync.
    Perhaps some weather-proof lens+shutter offerings for field use.
    Shutters that work better at all temperatures. (electronically controlled or at least built in measurement) But I bet it wouldn't fly because most people aren't like me and don't head out in blustery below freezing weather to get snow photos.
    As cheesy as it sounds, a lens where you could "turn the swirl up to 11" would be coveted. Call it a variable swirl or maybe vario-wirbel or something.
    I wouldn't pay money for it, but it'd be cool to have a shutter that displays it's settings as an image overlay (like crosshairs overlay a target in a scope) on the groundglass while composing a photo, and the settings go away when you cock it.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Hasselblad discontinues its System V cameras, and you guys want new development in LF lenses? I'd just be happy that Schneider and Rodenstock keep making something for a while longer. Nikon and Fuji have dropped out. Copal has filled a warehouse, and is concentrating its efforts in other areas.

What new things I would like to see? Gee, Santa, could Schneider and Rodenstock please stay in business?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Interesting question. Are there any manufacturers of lenses that cover 4x5 and larger formats left?
    Of course, Rodenstock is making lenses for both analog as well as digital view cameras from 65 to 360mm in Analog and from 23 to 180mm in Digital + analog 120 and 180mm Macro lenses and 120mm macro lens for digital.
    They also make enlarging lenses for 35mm to 4x5 as well as duplicating lenses.

George Sheils

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    joking bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    On what? With movements or without?

And this would not be new! A camera company that tried to start a new view camera system about 20 years ago showed a prototype of this idea at Photokina. The camera was made in 2x3, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14 sizes. Sensors were in the rails and the standards and you could add as much or as little automation as you needed. It could also compute the required Scheimpflug and position the standards for the required DOF, if desired.

It was never produced.

Sinar also had an electronic version of the P2 for a couple of years and Linhof had an IR rangefinder/viewfinder for the Technika 2000. Neither worked as planned.
    Is there a secure way to contact Bob?

Someone has hacked his account and is making posts.

We should let him know as quickly as possible!

Ananmorphics and Spherical systems!

Am drooling already!!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Is there a secure way to contact Bob?

Someone has hacked his account and is making posts.

We should let him know as quickly as possible!
    No, this one is true. But Rodenstock still making analogue lenses for 4x5" and up? I'm at least sceptical. As far as I know, Schneider is only selling off their warehouse stock but not producing new 4x5" lenses anymore. I wonder if Rodenstock is doing the same. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But both companies are well and producing - for digital.

But I understand that this is all about dreaming, so, how about a "mind reading lens" that produces exactly the image you imagine?
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

multiplex

i would love to see affordable lenses for upto 11x14 or bigger, not ones that are new and cost six, seven or eight hundred dollars or even thousands.
    something that when used wide open had pleasing out of focus areas, and stopped down was sort of sharp ( or sharp-enuf )
    and something that could be used as a barrel lens or have a way to mount a simple shutter on it ...

oh i forgot, reinhold already sells them!

thanks reinhold for making such a great and affordable product !
    john

Thanks John, it's my pleasure to be of service...

Reinhold
    www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com