Thread: Gossen Variable angle attachment or Spotmeter

Gossen Variable angle attachment or Spotmeter

I have a Gossen Multi Pro meter. Ive been using it for over 8 years and its never failed me once. Since I started my 4x5 work I have been thinking of getting a spotmeter to have more control, I have also been contemplating getting the variable angle attachment for the multi pro as a much cheaper option. The VA attachment will give me a 7.5 degree meter, will this be enough for serious B&W work? Anyone using a VA attachment? Or should I just get a Minolta spotmeter F or Pentax Spotmeter V?

Despite what I have posted in the past. I now believe that the best spot Zone System meter out there is the Zone VI Modified Pentax Digital Spot sold by Calumet. Look at the Alan Ross article linked to that meter in the Calumet website. I have pooh-poohed the necesity of this meter in the past, but decided to actually buy one and test it and it is all it is cracked up to be. You can actually read through filters and get accurate results. I am now getting my old one modified also as a back up. Sorry about the uninformed posting I have put up before. good luck.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

If 7.5 degrees is all you get, then it is certainly insufficient. I use the Minolta Spot F and never thought of any other model / make. It's small, light, accurate and reliable.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Geos

I have the Gossen Ultra Pro as well as several other meters, including the Zone VI modified Pentax digital spot meter. My recomendation is to forget an expensive attachment (I have several for my Ultra Pro) and get a dedicated spot meter. This way you will have a backup. The Zone VI modified meter is very nice but has poor low light capabilities IMHO. If you do get the Pentax digital spot meter (modified or unmodified) don't forget the Zone VI leather holster for it - VERY NICE!

I have a Luna Pro SBC that I used with the 7.5/15 degree attachment, and recently had the chance to buy a Soligor 1 degree digital spot for a good price. The SBC is an an excellent meter, but the 1 degree spot with thru-the-lens readings is really hard to beat for placing exposure, and measuring exposure range. I have had no regrets, except for maybe waiting too long to get one. With sheet film, why limit the oppurtunity to get the best results?

Most definately the Pentax digital. No need to remove from your eye to see the reading. Your choice on zone IV mod.

I have used the Luna Pro F for years and like you has never let me down. I still have it to calibrate my other meters! I do have the spot attachment and have found that I have never really "needed" anything else... Key word is "needed"... "I want, I want" and I did get a Pentax Digi spot and usually end up taking that... just because. The Multi Pro will do everything you need and with the VA Spot, your going to be even more versatile but it really up to you... buy more film or Spot Meter. If you decide to go with the spot, make a decision on what you shoot. If you do alot of flash macro outdoors, get the Minolta...