Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focusing Loupe Question

Focusing Loupe Question

I want to be able to quickly focus on portions of the image on the ground glass without having to use a dark cloth. I've seen some folks using a focusing loupe that has a dark nozzle that they place up against the ground glass. Does this effectively eliminate enough ambient light to allow critical focusing to be achieved? This would make it a lot easier on hot days to quickly compose the image under the cloth, but then work on detailed focusing and movements with the loupe.

Re: Focusing Loupe Question

Yes, if there is no ambient light striking the gg. No if there is.

You can simply tape some black electrical or duct tape to the loupe barrel to block extraneous light.

EDIT: Whoops, I completely misunderstood your question.
    The attachment you speak of usually has built-in 2x magnification, and is useful mostly for shooting at unusual camera angles, where GG viewing might be difficult or impossible.
    Most models remove quickly to let you switch between using them and a loupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Yes, if there is no ambient light striking the gg. No if there is.
    Thanks Bob. It also looks like some loupes are 'focusing' and others have diopter adjustments. My assumption is these are not the same. The 'focusing' loupe can adjust to what depth on the glass the loupe is focused to (to help with critical focus on the surface or on the grind)...yes? The diopter adjustment takes the 'once focused' image and corrects for vision. Or...are they one in the same?

I'm thinking an 8x seems about right to use on an 4x5 or 8x10. Since I wear eye correction, I would definitely like to get something with diopter correction. The Schneider looks a bit too short for my Italian nose.

- Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Yo' Vinny View Post
    Thanks Bob. It also looks like some loupes are 'focusing' and others have diopter adjustments. My assumption is these are not the same. The 'focusing' loupe can adjust to what depth on the glass the loupe is focused to (to help with critical focus on the surface or on the grind)...yes? The diopter adjustment takes the 'once focused' image and corrects for vision. Or...are they one in the same?
    I'm thinking an 8x seems about right to use on an 4x5 or 8x10. Since I wear eye correction, I would definitely like to get something with diopter correction. The Schneider looks a bit too short for my Italian nose.

- Vince
    "Diopter adjustment" is advertising BS for "focussing".

But you will find it very difficult to focus with any type of loupe, if any amount of ambient light is falling on the screen.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I use a Wista focusing loupe. It focuses with the front element about 1/4" from the glass, depending upon how you adjust it. It also blocks light from the sides at the front element. As others have noted, the virtue of blocking light is pretty much lost when the ambient light is great because the eye still must adapt to the dark and light is nonetheless brightening the glass. A hood helps.

Another advantage to the Wista is that you can extend the length of the loupe. This helps when your camera has a focusing hood (as do my Linhofs) so that you are not knocking it about with your forehead.

This is the one I am writing about. It is shown collapsed here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I use a Wista focusing loupe. It focuses with the front element about 1/4" from the glass, depending upon how you adjust it. It also blocks light from the sides at the front element. As others have noted, the virtue of blocking light is pretty much lost when the ambient light is great because the eye still must adapt to the dark and light is nonetheless brightening the glass. A hood helps.

Another advantage to the Wista is that you can extend the length of the loupe. This helps when your camera has a focusing hood (as do my Linhofs) so that you are not knocking it about with your forehead.

This is the one I am writing about. It is shown collapsed here.
    Wista no longer makes this loupe. They do offer two 5x ones, their standard 5x focusing loupe with opaque and clear skirts and the same in their sliding, hands-free version for their 45 cameras.

Will it work with the hood on the Chamonix 045N-2. The image below shows the extension. I haven't gotten out the ruler, but it looks like it is about 8 inches from the back edge to the glass. The viewing slot is somewhat narrow making it hard to hold the loupe as well. Can you use the loupe as a magnifier, not actually touching the glass then? Maybe having it about two inches from the glass...kind of like a mini-binocular for one eye?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Focusing Hood.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	93804

Quote Originally Posted by Yo' Vinny View Post
    Will it work with the hood on the Chamonix 045N-2. The image below shows the extension. I haven't gotten out the ruler, but it looks like it is about 8 inches from the back edge to the glass. The viewing slot is somewhat narrow making it hard to hold the loupe as well. Can you use the loupe as a magnifier, not actually touching the glass then? Maybe having it about two inches from the glass...kind of like a mini-binocular for one eye?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Focusing Hood.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	93804
    Will the Wista, or Linhof ones fit? No. Someone elses might.

I had a Toyo Loupe years ago that served the purpose of not using a dark cloth. It was small and had a neck strap. Gave 3.6X magnification. I don't believe they are manufactured any longer but perhaps you could find one on the used market.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAg&dur=323