Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: suggestions for affordable portable 8x10 camera

suggestions for affordable portable 8x10 camera

Hi guys,

I mostly shoot portraits & some landscape work. I use a Sinar F1, Super Graphic and a Cambo SCX 8x10. Although I love the movements and precision of the Cambo, it weighs a ton and is really awkward to transport.

I used the 8x10 on the street a few days ago for portraits and it was hellish.I'm looking for suggestions for a lighter 8x10, maybe field or folder, pretty sure I can't afford a Deardorff even if I sell the cambo, any suggestions for options much appreciated.

Thanks

D

Re: suggestions for affordable portable 8x10 camera

yes, an 8 x 10 monorail out on the streets, surely is as you say hellish, has to be used out of the back of a vehicle and with a minimum distrance from that, which limits your options

new or used..................?

a Field will be a folder, unelss it's the Walker

Chamonix, perhaps?

Dorff's are pretty heavy..............you could get by with this if you used a small trolley type effort

G Tice uses a Dorff, of course

it depends also on the weight of the lenses that you're intending to use and the weight/features of the Camera that you will need for that - how about working back from the lens(es) and see what you reach

just my few Euros worth

regards

andrew

Im exactly in the same problem but my 8x10 is a Cambo Legend. I went hiking yesterday for around 4 hours and it was really hard. I've been wanting a Chamonix but need to save.

Good luck.

If you're looking for something around $1,000 or less you probably should be looking at one of the older 8x10s such as Burke & James, Agfa Ansco, Korona, et al. The newer "light" 8x10s (e.g. Wehman, which is no longer made, Ritter, et al) will cost more than the Deardorff you say you can't afford. But as I'm sure you know, these older 8x10s aren't all that light though likely less than the Cambo you're using now.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have an 8x10 Korona, and though I certainly wouldn't say it's light, I would say that if I could get mine into a backpack I'd have a good time of taking it far afield.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a backpack that fits the bloody thing. I need a main chamber of at least 6x15x16.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

(Shrek)

My late 1880s folder (ROC Universal) weighs in at about half a Deardorff, is smaller, much cheaper, and does most of what I need in a field camera (movements are limited). I use standard holders in the back, with a spacer. Plus, it's a bit of a conversation piece when I tell people how old it is, and how I restored it from a box of unglued pieces.

I briefly owned a B&J Commercial View.
    Light for an 8x10, full movements, and pretty cheap (it was in very good condition).
    Folded up nicely, too.

I'd look for a Century Universal or Agfa Ansco, but keep my eyes open for a Deardorff V8 with NFS or Kodak Master View that might fit into the ol' budget.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

My choices in order are:
    Century Universal -more movements than many monrails and very light. They often sell at give away prices. It is th one camera I have owned that Iwish I still had.
    Tachihara - still available used. A good field camera although the bellows is a bit short for my tastes.
    Kodak 2D - Ample movement, weighs about the same as the Tachihara, but more than the Universal, easy to find for decent prices.

The Agfa Ansco weighs considerably more than any of these.

I paid $1,500,00 for my used Wehman. When you can find one for sale they usually go for that or a little more.

When I bought my camera I was wanting to spend about $1,000.00 and all I could find were the cameras that Brian mentioned plus the 2D. What I really wanted was a Wehman, Kodak Master or Deardorff. The Kodak Master's I found were all around $2,000.00 and Dorf's that were $1,000.00 or less looked worn out. When a nice Wehman came up on Ebay for $1,500.00 I stepped up to the plate and bought it. It was more than I wanted to spend so I sold some of my medium format gear to make up the difference.

Good luck in your search.