Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First LF negatives

First LF negatives

I still have about 6 more to develop but here are my first 4 LF negatives with my Crown Graphic..I used the "taco" method (most practical for now) and D76 developer. I also have a new (used) scanner as my V600 can't do LF so I bought a 4990 photo off of ebay. It seemed to work well but the thumbnails are coming in like medium format for some reason (I saw a thread from a while back which seemed to imply you can't use thumbnails with the 4x5 negative holder.) I ended up not using thumbnail and just picking what I wanted to scan. For some reason the second image game in with a tint???? I also seemed to get some kind of light flare but I didn't have the tank locked down 100% initially so that could have caused it...not sure. But...I did get images

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firstLFPure-4.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	93693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firstLFPure-2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	93694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firstLFPure-3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	93695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firstLFPure-1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	93696

Re: First LF negatives

Looking good, its really quite the buzz when you get your first negs out.

The light flare in the middle 2 pics almost look symmetrical - I'd hazard a guess that both are caused by the same thing, maybe the tank (was the centre post in the tank?) or else from the dark slide? There is another bit of flare in the first pic, just not as severe.

Best of luck and happy shooting!

The first 3 look like they all suffer from light leeks in the camera. The last one looks like it has uneven development.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Thank you Fran and Zak for your feedback!! Yes, it was quite a buzz to see images. I think It was probably the tank or how I inserted the film or removed/put in the darkslide rather than the camera itself. As I mentioned, I didn't have it closed properly initially and also had it been a camera the light leak wouldn't have been the same or close to the same on all the images? Image four doesn't have a light leak but you're right..uneven developed is probably the case....almost like I the developer didn't quite get to it all.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

your first negs looks a hell of a lot better than my first ones
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

The first three look like in-camera flare to me. A loose tank lid should fog the top edge of the film uniformly.

Frame 4 certainly looks like insufficient developer (not covering the entire sheet).

Frames 1 and 4 appear to be mirror images, suggesting that one might have been scanned upside-down (emulsion up rather than down). They're obviously two different sheets of film.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Yes Leigh...tnx...good catch on 1 and 4...image 1 was in-fact scanned upside-down. The interesting thing is 2 and 3...which were both scanned properly have the flare on the opposite side of the image. Lens flare? Film holder not seated properly??

I'm really at a loss to suggest a good cause for the flare, although I think that's what it is.

The foreground shadows in 2 & 3 suggest the the sun was above, perhaps a bit behind, the camera position, which
    argues strongly against lens flare or bellows problems in the camera.

Most filmholder problems would result in a much broader, less defined, area of abnormal density.

Try looking through the slide light trap and see if you can find any gap that might allow light to enter in one specific position, when the holder is out of the camera.

Are your holders numbered for identification? I suggest numbering each, and identifying the sides as A and B.
    Keep accurate notes of what you're doing, noting the holder number and side used for each exposure.
    Develop one image at a time, and note its holder info on the storage sleeve.
    Try to correlate the problem with a particular holder/side.

Disregarding the flare and other problems the images look fine. Exposure appears to be accurate.

You mention that you have six more awaiting development. Let's see how they come out.
    Label those holders as mentioned, and keep that information with each sheet.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    your first negs looks a hell of a lot better than my first ones
    I was going to say! mine was like a double exposure on one and the other one was empty, and stuff like that, enjoy the journey!
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Extend the bellows on your camera put in a film holder turn off the lights and shine a flashlight in the hole that the lens goes into and look for light leaking out.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams