Thread: Hermagis Extra Rapid Portrait #7 lens...or is it?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hermagis Extra Rapid Portrait #7 lens...or is it?

I am a newly setting up a large format kit. I have an 8 x 10 Deardorff and have committed to buy this lens - Hermagis Rapid Portrait #7.

I know it's a little on the short side (research shows 8.5" focal length covering 7" x 5" but with a recessed board it can work, plus I have a 4 x 5 reducing back if need be and know how to get the bellows tight. I really need something super fast for trying to reduce very long exposures for alternative processes and this lens is meant to be f3. The speed is more important than the movements and as always budget is an issue, else I could have just spent a whole lot more on something else. I already have a Schneider 355mm f9 G clarion for my other work.

However, I have just read a whole lot of negative reviews within the last 12 months saying the seller sent them a lens that was not the type as stated and they were having a hard time getting their money back. I know I should have checked this first...The seller's rating overall was very good at 99.2%.

I am fairly sure this lens should have been labelled with the type on it? I have included a picture of what they have shown, which is only the brand/serial number. As there are a lot of Hermagis lens types out there and some a lot slower - this is pretty important that I get it right. I accept it is fairly beaten up, but not if it is not the type stated.

I don't want to be a non-payer if it is as the seller says it is.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hermagis lens.jpg