Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 vs 360 lens

Re: 300 vs 360 lens

There are far more options beyond the Nikkor. Ask what will your image subjects will be and what are your expectations for images produced.

Lens choice is not a matter of what is small or popular but should be driven by what is required to produce the images in mind.

Vintage or modern lenses, they have specific personalities and the image maker needs to fully understand what their limits and strengths are before making a choice on what is ideal.

There is far more to lens choice than just "sharp".

DOF is based on focal length (same focal length has the same effective DOF at the same aperture) , aperture used, image plane (film size) size, camera movements and... Out of focus rendition can affect how DOF is perceived in the finished image.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by steve hartsfield View Post
    I am considering either a 300mm nikkor or a 360 T nikkor for 4x5 use, anyone want to give me the pros and cons of one versus the other? Would the depth of field be more limited for the 360? I do know that the 360 is much heavier and more expensive.

The 355 G Claron is a great lens but it will overwhelm most 4X5's. Way, way, way too much coverage isn't a good thing.

I am very pleased with my Nikkor 300 5.6w if that is in your choices.

PD

For which camera?