Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dagor 180mm f6.8

Dagor 180mm f6.8

Hello, found this lens for sale locally here in the Philippines. Seems like there are a lot of variations of these lens and could not find the exact one for this about its exact specification and coverage and if its worth it. Seller is asking $200 for it. Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Dagor 180mm f6.8

That's an older, (pre-WWII) example. You can look on the front page of this site for a little info on Goerz serial numbers by date. This one looks to be uncoated, it will certainly cover 4x5 (and likely 5x7).
    Someone thought it was good enough to mount it in a much newer Copal shutter; if the shutter is working then the asking price seems fair- although I've never used this exact version of the Dagor.

Quote Originally Posted by ari velazco View Post
    and if its worth it.
    I depends on what you shot and on what you want.

In performance terms you have much better choices, for example you may get a Symmar-S 180mm search: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...s+180&_sacat=0

These are usually multicoated and the resolving power may be two fold linear and four fold area than the dagor.

_____

...But optical preformance can be irrelevant in photograhy !!!

A Dagor is a character on its own, it may deliver a particular look you may like for portraiture or to match ancient aesthetics... Dagors have not an excellent bokeh if wanting that, but a photographer may want a Dagor...

For general photography you may prefer a modern lens like a Symmar-S that perhaps lacks "character" but's it's optically sound. If you pay a plus for an antique lens, performing worse, then you should have clear motivations for it.

Please see here the Dagor section: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rtrait-lenses/

Thank you very much Pete, I understand a newer lens maybe a better option for general photography. I wanted to see whether this might be worth it since I do not have to import the lens from abroad. I live here in the Philippines. I do not have a lens wider than my 210mm for my 4x5-5x7 deardorff and this would be a likely candidate if this can cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ari

In the UK we frequently see the Berlin made Dagor's. I'm a real fan of them - in a barrel mount they're small, compact and with a large coverage. I currently own the 120, 150, 180, 240 and 300mm versions. I used to own a 210mm, that covered 10 x 8, I'm fairly sure that the 180mm will cover 5 x 7 and will test later today

regards

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by ari velazco View Post
    if this can cover it.
    It has to cover 5x7. The 150mm version covers a 210mm circle, so the proportionally larger circle of the 180 has to cover well 5x7, as Mark guessed. https://www.graflex.org/lenses/lens-spec.html

5x7" requires a nominal coverage of 208.7mm

According to P-H Pont's Goerz chronology, the lens was made around 1921.

Goerz' claimed that Dagors cover 85 degrees stopped well down. A 180 should, then, cover 330 mm. But and however, my friend Eric Beltrando put Dagor prescriptions (from patents) and Boyer Beryl prescriptions (from the remains of Boyer's archives) through his ray-tracing program and found that 70 degrees is much more realistic. 252 mm for a 180. Visit Eric's site dioptrique.info.

See https://www.largeformatphotography.i...09-Lousy-Dagor for a lengthy and in places hilarious discussion of Dagors' in general and the 180/6.8 in particular coverage.

With respect to resolution, I've never had so haven't tested an f/6.8 Dagor but own and have tested f/6.8 Beryls, which are very similar. Papi is mistaken, these lenses are fully competitive with modern lenses at my usual shooting apertures of f/16 and f/22. Wider open, not quite but still very usable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    , these lenses are fully competitive with modern lenses at my usual...
    Depending on the print size and viewing distance.

A 1920s dagor may deliver a flawless 20" print from 4x5". At 40" a 1980s Symnar S sure it is better... no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Depending on the print size and viewing distance.

A 1920s dagor may deliver a flawless 20" print from 4x5". At 40" a 1980s Symnar S sure it is better... no doubt
    Have you tried it?

I have had and used a non-coated 10.75 DAgor for more than 50 years.I like it so much I have purchased , and used, several more "pre" Dagors,also uncoated and love them. I once used a friends coated Golden DAgor with the thought of buying it. I gave it back because the images seemed unreal with their too-sharp rendition of everything, particularly portraits, forests and other natural scenes.