Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning X-Ray film, a few questions

Beginning X-Ray film, a few questions

Since x-ray film is not available in 4x5, looks like I'm stuck cutting down 8x10 film. Luckily I have a rotary trimmer and night vision goggles to make it easy. My question is what film is the best to start with? Green, blue, other? Should I worry too much about stripping? Are there starting points available for developing in either HC110 or D76?

I can get 100 sheets of 8x10 film for $32, that 400 sheets of 4x5 @ 8 cents a sheet!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Beginning X-Ray film, a few questions

You can cut the film in red safe light. No need for goggles. Just have a clean workspace and try not to slide the film. Develop in D-76 for 6-7 minutes. Stripping? I don't do it. I am a carbon printer and the density is just fine for me. Maybe a sliver printer can speak to the stripping issue. I see no sense in it. Blue or green it does not matter. I prefer the blue right now but have all kinds of green as well. Have fun.

Great thread starter, I need info myself.

OP where are you buying the film?

Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Since x-ray film is not available in 4x5, looks like I'm stuck cutting down 8x10 film. Luckily I have a rotary trimmer and night vision goggles to make it easy. My question is what film is the best to start with? Green, blue, other? Should I worry too much about stripping? Are there starting points available for developing in either HC110 or D76?

I can get 100 sheets of 8x10 film for $32, that 400 sheets of 4x5 @ 8 cents a sheet!
    Tin Can

"CXS online" They have Fuji & Kodak, about $30-$35 for a box of 100 sheets of 8x10. I mean for that price I might just speed up the production of my 8x10 pinhole.

Ok, found http://www.cxsonline.com/

which film?

Green ortho?

Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    "CXS online" They have Fuji & Kodak, about $30-$35 for a box of 100 sheets of 8x10. I mean for that price I might just speed up the production of my 8x10 pinhole.
    Tin Can

Go into the x-ray section. I use the Agfa half speed blue, green and full speed. I have bought film from e-bay as well with no problems. I just posted an image in the x-ray thread of a flower shot on half speed blue from 2004. What is not to like! I shoot it in 8x10, 11x14 and 14x17. There are many threads about using this film. Read them and you will have the info you need.

Thanks Jim.

I saw your flower, big 50 page thread.

also finding lots of dead links, my favorite...

I will be buying some x-ray shortly, I love the sizes available, 7x17 i can cut to 7x11 and have 5x7 also, or as it's so cheap, just cut 11x14 in half

Your carbon prints are very nice, I might live long enough to try that out.

I do wonder if x-ray film is a permanent technology or is digital making inroads?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Go into the x-ray section. I use the Agfa half speed blue, green and full speed. I have bought film from e-bay as well with no problems. I just posted an image in the x-ray thread of a flower shot on half speed blue from 2004. What is not to like! I shoot it in 8x10, 11x14 and 14x17. There are many threads about using this film. Read them and you will have the info you need.
    Tin Can

Digital here but the third world is still using old film x-ray machines for a long time. Thanks, the shot is nice that I posted but the actual carbon print is even better. Not bad for 9 year old x-ray film. Read on and research.

Yes, Jim, I am finding your first explorations from 2009.

This is what many of us should start with. it's affordable and makes ULF a possibility. i figured i would shoot maybe 10 images in a summer with my 7x11, this x-ray film changes all that. now i need more holders...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Digital here but the third world is still using old film x-ray machines for a long time. Thanks, the shot is nice that I posted but the actual carbon print is even better. Not bad for 9 year old x-ray film. Read on and research.
    Tin Can

Holders, yep. I wish I had more than 4 14x17 holders