Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a switch to LF

Talking Making a switch to LF

Hello Folks
    I am sure you have answered the question many times before. I want to experience the relaxing work of large format photography. The camera i will learn to use I have no idea what model or make to buy. I do not do cheap and I don't go all out and get the best. I know the person behind the camera is the factor in a great image. But cheap gear is cheap gear. I want to give myself the best chance to learn this medium. So does anyone have a reasonable approach to a newbee. I think I would spend around 1200 for a camera. I will 95% of the time be doing Cityscapes and landscape. I would love to do Long exposure work as well. Does LF cameras have bulb Mode?

Camera ?
    Scanner in to Photoshop?
    Film sent to lab for processing ?

This is a start I do hope to hear from you thanks.

JodyG

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Making a switch to LF

Welcome to the forum, Jody! Please peruse the site's home page, where there are many articles that will answer your questions.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JodyG View Post
    I want to experience the relaxing work of large format photography.
    Where did you get the idea that shooting large format film was relaxing. It's 100 times more work. But it's also 100 times more rewarding

Does LF cameras have bulb Mode?
    That is controlled by the shutter of your lens. The camera itself is not much more then bellows and a frame. But yes the shutters do have a bulb option.

Camera?
    Shen Hao and Chamonix are a good place to start looking.

Scanner in to Photoshop?
    For a flatbed most use a Epson v700 or v750. However when you get a really good image you may want to drop the $$ for a good drum scan.

Film sent to lab for processing?
    Process it yourself.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Good to read this post. I'm sick of people alwasy asking for the cheapest this and that.

hi jody, welcome!

i think a nice 4x5 would be the way to go. i agree with what lightguru typed, but would like to add that the most important part is getting a camera body that has good bellows, smooth movements, and then a nice lens that has a good working shutter. do you want a metal body or wood? is aesthetics important to you? (i am **sigh** in love with my old korona wood cameras because they are so beautiful.)

shooting LF is more zen than shooting smaller formats, but not more relaxing. perhaps that's what you meant anyway. i always need a beer when i am done shooting.

don't forget a tripod.

here in los angeles, we have the 'bargain camera' show once a month - maybe where you live there is such a place to go as well. we also have some adult ed classes that can give you a real head start on this process. but if you are the autodidactic sort, then start reading. i learned with 'medium and large format photography' by hicks and schultz and with 'using the view camera' by simmons. both easily available at amazon used book prices. and for sure, our forum home page is fraught with info.

let us know how you are doing, ok? if you see a camera but aren't certain, you can ask here. you'll get several opinions, of course. we are opinionated. but in a good way.

Whats wrong with cheap gear?
    Thats assuming an awful lot, like cheap gear cannot possibly be good working gear
    And that expensive gear is neccesarily good gear.

What you should want is good gear. In this regard,condition is everything.
    If what you want new gear, a lot of guys are going for the Shen camera.

The bulb mode is a function of your shutter, not the camera.
    My sugestions---a older american monorail in good condition like the Calumet 400 or Graphic View 2 (about or less than $200)
    A Schneider or Nikon 210mm to 150mm lens in a good working shutter (about $200---250)
    A stack of film holders(around $50-60)
    A Marchiochi or Lieca full size Tilt-all tripod(about $90)
    A box of Ilford FP-4+ (whatever the current value is)
    That ought to get you a good start for around $600.
    If you prefer a wooden folder, it will cost a bit more.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The biggest question is whether you want a monorail or a field camera. In general a flatbed camera will be lighter and easier to setup in the field. A mono rail generally has more movements. My suggestion for a monorail would be a Horseman LE or the older Horseman 450. I am still learning how to utilize the movements on my Horseman, but I really like having the geared movements that lock down. You can usually find a Horseman for around $350. Here's the article that helped me decide on getting a Horseman. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/mono-field.html

As far as a lens, I suggest any modern lens from the big four(Nikon, Fuji, Rodenstock, or Schneider). I would suggest 150mm and/or 90mm to start with. If you only get one lens 90mm may be too wide.

Set aside some of your budget for the accessories. It is easy to nickel and dime yourself to death getting everything you need to shoot large format(darkcloth, loupe, film holders, backpack, etc).

I second the suggestion for the Epson V700 to scan with.

If you plan to shoot black and white, I would suggest developing it yourself. I use this method and get very consistent results without much effort. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

I hope this helps.

Someone just starting out in LF photography might do well to use a $100 Burke & James or similar camera and an older lens for a year or two, and then use the rest of the budget for a lifetime investment in the ideal system.

Making a switch to LF

Prepare to go through a few different cameras in your first year or so. I originally thought I wanted a monorail, which is what I started with - a Sinar F2. Wonderful camera, needs a car. Then I bought a wooden field camera. Beautiful camera, close to what I wanted but not quite. Got admiring glances from many a pretty girl with it though (I may have to buy another one just for that). Finally bought a Toyo metal field camera on a recommendation by a friend - perfect for me. I'm really happy with it but of course it might not suit you.

Cheap gear is fine. Cheap people are not. THAT was my point.