Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: for sale section. Yes I know why I can't see it, I think its stupid though.

Re: for sale section. Yes I know why I can't see it, I think its stupid though.

Appreciated Rick,

Thanks for the response. Acknowledged.

I hope to have fun with it, obviously

Dan
    http://500px.com/insanephotography

Dan,

Welcome to the forum and the world of large format. Being an Aussie I assume you have thick skin, which is a good trait to have for ANY online forum!

I will second the notion that commerce is a secondary function of this site. Since the For Sale section is not auction-based, more (and newer) viewers don't do too much to help with sales necessarily. And as has been said above, I am fine selling my gear for a bit less than I could get elsewhere knowing that it is being sold within an established community. Not because of any elitism, but because selling amongst "friends" feels better.

Now...as an Internet savvy Gen-Y'er, you got schooled on how to use Google by some geezer* on a LF forum? Damn, boy.

Jonathan

*Meant as a term of affection, Leigh. I consider myself a geezer, too.

EDIT: Ooops, Rick sort of capped the discussion while I was composing my post. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by insanephotography View Post
    Thanks Brian

I'm Gen Y, we are used to getting everything immediately!
    You probably won't care much for large format with that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Now...as an Internet savvy Gen-Y'er, you got schooled on how to use Google by some geezer* on a LF forum? Damn, boy.
    *Meant as a term of affection, Leigh. I consider myself a geezer, too.
    I love you too, Jonathan.

Look up 'geezer' in the dictionary and you would see my picture, if they could find a lens up to the challenge.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

WHOA THERE, PEOPLE!

We've been through this "crotchety fart" thing before.

Quote Originally Posted by insanephotography View Post
    I don't entirely understand this, it sounds very elitist to me. Surely I would show more commitment to the idea of LF photography by actually buying a LF camera and starting the learning process for real. You want me to read dry information about concepts I can barely grasp through only the medium of a forum? I personally learn by doing. I would learn more in 5 minutes playing around with a camera or in a darkroom with film than I would from reading 100 threads.
    Dan, please relax just a little bit, and don't let this bunch get under your skin. They get grumpy, and there's even a current post from one of the moderators about being patient with new people.

Now then:
    #1: Starting with a camera. It's very hard to go wrong. The only way you can go wrong is to not buy a camera. I started LF with a Graflex Super Graphic from the late 1960s, which I still have and use, and with the original lens. This particular model of camera was made with a Fresnel lens and ground glass combination, so it's imperative for a buyer to make sure that it's original, or if it's been replaced, that the replacement was done properly. Otherwise, good ground glass and light-tight bellows, and you're in business. I'm serious about that.

#2: Film and film holders: You need them. They need to be loaded in the dark, or in a big changing tent or bag. This takes some practice. Once upon a time, you could get film in individual packets, like Kodak Readyload or Fuji Quickload. There was also instant film from Polaroid. All of this is gone. It's time to roll up your sleeves and break a sweat.

#3: Sturdy tripod. Cable release is really good. Cheap incident light meter.

#4: Go and do it.

I learned with a book, Polaroids, and my Graflex. You don't have that option. The fastest way is for you to find someone close to you, go and meet them in person ASAP, and learn at their feet. There are quite a few members down under, so there just might be someone in range of you. Also, join APUG.org, and ask there who might be near you. Fill out your profile with your location.

LF is easy to screw up, so yeah, there's a learning curve. But it's not rocket science, and eyeballing is a great way to learn. Set the lens according to a light meter, and you'll be good. You don't have to learn the Zone System or anything else to get a reasonable and usable exposure. But you will have some wasted shots, so take that into account. I'm given to believe that film and processing are expensive in Oz, so forewarned is fourarmed, but LF photographers are usually five-legged.

As for buying a camera, check around your local shops. Since this is your first camera, you need to physically look at it and twiddle with it a bit. You won't be able to fiddle with it buying over the net. After that, the future is all yours.

Oh, yeah: if you have Skype, we can sync up and chat.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Thanks Brian.

Advice taken on board, digesting now!

Thanks for the offer.

Dan
    http://500px.com/insanephotography

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Dan... don't subscribe to View Camera Magazine. You wouldn't be able to handle it! Welcome and good luck with learning LF!

It's worth waiting the 30 days. Items in the Classifieds are offered by people who actually know what they are, and have usually used them. They realize that just because something is old, it doesn't make it rare, and just because it's rare, it doesn't denote quality. As opposed to many on ebay, sellers here usually don't find the camera in an estate sale basement/attic, will know if it's complete, in working condition, and know it's value. I don't think I've ever seen an ad, here, where the poster wrote, "I'm not a photographer, so I don't know if this works (or has all the parts), but it looks OK to me." The 30 day rule keeps those people out, making this a much safer place to make purchases.

Lachlan 717

Dan,

Where are you based? There could be someone in your area that can have a chat with you, and perhaps show you their kit.

Much better than just reading about it!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Also, join APUG.org, and ask there who might be near you.
    As an added benefit he has immediate access to the classifieds section on APUG, where many of the LF items for sale are the same ones listed here that he can't see.