Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Johsel Namkung: a retrospective - book review

Re: Johsel Namkung: a retrospective - book review

Thanks, using Firefox did the trick. I never think to check other browsers, even though that has been the problem in the past as well. I just seem to be too thick-skulled to learn...

It sayes in his bio he is 93. What an amazing career in photography.

Drew Wiley

Man, I am sooooo happy this fellow is getting a second wind in terms of recognition. I've been wondering for a long time if he'd resurface in the public view, and if not, why? Maybe the fashionistas in Manhattan think this kind of work is dated, and that everything nowadays has to have cultural detritus, outright garbage, or bodies in the foreground, or some sort of digital contortions, to be relevant anymore. Maybe if they learned to take a deep breath and recognize that life consists of more than neurotic hype, that an oldster like this still has something to offer ... vision like this just doesn't instantly vaporize.

I called and ordered this book yesterday and eagerly await its arrival. I had a wonderful conversation with Dick Busher who seams to be a jack of all trades in the photography and publishing business. I am sure the book is going to be first rate.

I'd never heard of him. I checked him out and have to say I much prefer Eliot Porter
    I think some of his crops are a little TOO tight. Maybe they had to be.

I just now after reading the first post through see he had an affiliation with Tobey. One of the photos I saw was an almost duplicate of one of my favorite Tobey paintings ..Cells, I believe. Might be his most well known artwork.
    In fact, I'm going to have to go back and actually click on it to make sure the thumbnail wasn't the Tobey that just made it's way into some bio of Namkung.

So I'm not a big fan but nice work

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Great thread, thanks. I didn't know of him. Beautiful work.

I bought one of his older books. Could not afford the $175 copy.

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I can’t get beyond “page 2-3” either, but the front cover’s swirling beach ice makes me want to come back and try again.

At least you get a fun portrait of Namkung next to his camera.

Wow, a book that’s 3 feet wide when open – I might have to set it up on my Ries for viewing.
    I got jamed up too. Why do they make websites that are so tough to nav?

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmyviewcam View Post
    I got jammed up too. Why do they make websites that are so tough to nav?
    Sounds like the site requires specific browsers as indicated above, but anyone who’s short of an upgrade can still read Namkung’s revealing artist statement, part of which I’ve described as “synesthetic” in a recent thread about composition:

I spend a lot of time looking for subjects. ...And finally, when I find something, there always has to be a unifying, kinetic force. Which means the rhythm, and in musical terms the melodic lines. And polyphonic melodic lines especially, like Bach, for instance, or Handel and Mozart. Linear structures. And then its juxtaposition, its counterbalancing, which is called counterpoint in musical terms. And I find almost every time, when I see something, I always see melodic lines, and counterbalancing forces, and weight, and harmony. And that becomes the skeletal form of my photographs. So my photographs could always be interpreted through musical forms.

Namkung’s fascinating analogy between photographic & musical composition suggests, I think, a sharp sensitivity to visual rhythms (or “melodic lines,” he says), and a vital interest in sharing them w/ others. He seems to “hear” his subjects when he composes them, like a musician working on a score; I certainly have similar experiences when I view many of his photographs – and when I’m in the field w/ my Tachi doing my own work. One might describe his work as Lysergic! ;^)

I saw his show at the Seattle Art Museum in '78 and loved his work. I still have the catalog of that show around here somewhere. He had another show in the pas couple of years - I don't remember if it was at the Seattle Art Museum or the Tacoma Art Museum. The prints were very large and stupendous. The images on the website, as is most often the case, only give an pale idea of the prints. The green hillside viewed through a forest of charred tree trunks appears a muddy mess on my monitor but the print is truly vibrant. I cannot buy the book but hope to see it eventually. I suspect one of the our state University Library's are likely to acquire it and it will, in time, be available through an inter-library loan.

At both exhibits, his camera and tripod were also on display.
    Dan Williams
    Enumclaw WA

"a sharp sensitivity"

JESUS CHRIST lmao

lol im actually chortling
    i suspect you'd like that word