I've been getting orange banding on all of my color 4x5 negatives, which I scan without the film holder, only using a piece of ANR glass to press it down to the scanner glass. When I scan them with the film holder, everything comes out fine (but I lose the edges). This problem does not arise when scanning b/w 4x5 negatives with the same method. I am using Silverfast but the same problem showed up on EpsonScan too.

Today I did a bit of testing and took some snapshots.

This is what the scanned image looks like when I'm using "Transparency":
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-transparency-middle-area.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	91176

Then I switch to "Transparency Full Area" and the line disappears:

Name:	2-transparency-full-area.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	91177

And if I rotate the image, the "ghosting" on the corners is reduced (I can see the logic in this):

Name:	3-rotated.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	91178

But if I move the negative to another part of the scanner, there's the line again:

Name:	4-taped-rotated.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	91179

I don't have a black mask on the rest of the scanner area. I have been scanning b/w 4x5 negatives for a long time and have not had any issues like this. I understand about curling corners and the "ghosting" image that is captured, but that huge orange banding that occurs on specific parts of the scanner is beyond me, as well as the fact that the banding disappears if I use the film holder.

I have read all about V700's calibration area, I've checked it and it is as clean as it can be. I've also spent the last days reading everything I could find online, but I've yet to find a solution.

Any thoughts?

How do you scan your 4x5 color film and how have you dealt with similar issues?