Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Large format gear bag

Re: Large format gear bag

I have a Lowe Pro Stealth Reporter that was in the clearance bin at the local camera shop. I'm not totally sure of the size but it is one of the larger ones. Anyways, it holds a field camera, lenses, dark cloth etc. with tons of room to spare. The thing I really like is that there are two rectangular shaped side pockets (under the flap) that are perfectly sized for film holders. I've lugged it around on foot and used it as carry-on to take my camera on planes.

Going out in the bush I would use a backpack but it's a pretty handy bag for cities and traveling.

The old Zone VI bags hold a ton of stuff if you can find one. They are a shoulder bag, but also have anchor points on the back to attach to a pack frame if you prefer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_6621.jpg   DSC_6627.jpg  
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Cool, now i have more than one option to choose from, i will check out my camera dimensions and how many lenses and other stuff i want to buy then i will see which one i better go with.

For a backpack type, my 5x7 rides in a Jansport Equinox with plenty of room for film holders, dark cloth, meter, spare lens etc...
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Backpacks are probably the best way to go for most people. I have a bad back (fusion) and can't get along with them so I use a Cordura tool bag that I bought online from Home Depot. It has a telescoping handle and wheels on the bottom. It was also dirt cheap compared to the ones designed for photographic gear.

It works great for me but of course I don't go hiking with it.

I use a backpack for field work, usually with a Super Technika. I use a Canon brand pack. The 'Canon' emblem is plastic. I snapped off the 'C', making it an 'anon' brand. For 8x10 work I try to use a field cart I made from a backpack frame. It is still not a good fit.

I ski double black diamond terrain on a regular basis with this Lowepro Flipside 15L loaded with a Chamonix, 5 lenses, 6 holders a 6x12 back, filters and a Manfrotto 190CXPRO-4 tripod, etc...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

It's light, has a great tripod holder, small Camelbak compartment and fits well. Only draw back is lack of small pockets on the exterior. I use the smaller 10L version for my on mountain Hasselblad system.

are you looking to "travel" with this bag/case, or do hiking/climbing with it?

Personally, I've found a Pelican 1510 case to be the easiest(and most sturdy) to work out of when close to the car:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...y_On_1510.html

However, when working AWAY(like more than 200yds) from the car, I use a regular ol' backpack w/ both 4x5 and 8x10 systems. I put holders + lenses/acc's in backpack, camera is mounted on tripod carried over shoulder.
    Recently found it at the thrift store, this model:

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Hemloc...=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

cheers,
    Dan

From my personal experience, I fit a Super Graphic and up to 6 lenses (3 rather large ones plus 3 very slim ones), plus a grafmatic and 5-8 regular holders , spotmeter, reflected light meter, cable release, pistol grip, and even a changing bag in one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Digital-.../dp/B00079SWNQ

It's well made, pretty easy to reconfigure, and has lots of pocketses.

The whole kit is no more tiresome to lug around than a fairly big SLR setup and it's easily accessible on the go. The strap is comfy as well.

It doesn't have a good place for a tripod, but I have a camera sling on my Tripod and carry it over the shoulder too.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

If you want a shoulder bag instead of a backpack, which are easier to use for casual outings, then go to your local thrift shop and look for an old camcoder bag. Back in the day camcorders where quite large and thus many large camcorder bags are still around. I use one and can carry a 5x7 speed graphic and extra lenses with holders in a seperate outside pocket with ease.