Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large format gear bag

Large format gear bag

Hi again,

I want to know your recommendations about a bag to accommodate 1 LF camera [almost lightweight field camera or a Graphic model one] with say 2-3 lenses and some film holders say up to 8-10, i don't want very big but also it shouldn't be small so it has rooms, i am open to all options and i prefer if some had bought and experimented it rather than some recommend me according to what they read without they tested it.

Re: Large format gear bag

Professional: I, and many on this forum, use a backpack rather than a shoulder bag. You can get various recommendations. I have used a Tenba, but switched to a slightly lighter www.photobackpacker.com backpack, with one compartment (they are padded cases which attach via velcro internally) for the field camera, and one three-lens case; there is ample room in the main compartment to add holders (I typically carry six, you can fit more) and a dark cloth. The external compartment easily takes two light meters (spot and incident) and all the small things one typically carries, and there is a tripod pocket on the side. (I have no connection with photobackpacker other than being a happy customer.)
    Last edited by Peter Lewin; 11-Mar-2013 at 04:57. Reason: add full URL for photobackpacker

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Professional: I, and many on this forum, use a backpack rather than a shoulder bag. You can get various recommendations. I have used a Tenba, but switched to a slightly lighter www.photobackpacker.com backpack, with one compartment (they are padded cases which attach via velcro internally) for the field camera, and one three-lens case; there is ample room in the main compartment to add holders (I typically carry six, you can fit more) and a dark cloth. The external compartment easily takes two light meters (spot and incident) and all the small things one typically carries, and there is a tripod pocket on the side. (I have no connection with photobackpacker other than being a happy customer.)
    Thanks Peter, looks like a good option, i will read more and have a better look on that brand bags and decide later.

I also prefer backpack bag, i have only one shoulder bag i bought as first ever one when i started photography and then i never looked back again for another shoulder bag.

I'm with Peter. I've got one of the Tamrac backpacks. My Chamonix, six film holders and four lenses fit comfortably. And some Series VI and VII filters and a cable release fits into the flap pouch. The whole kit weighs in at around 20 pounds.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I'm with Peter. I've got one of the Tamrac backpacks. My Chamonix, six film holders and four lenses fit comfortably. And some Series VI and VII filters and a cable release fits into the flap pouch. The whole kit weighs in at around 20 pounds.
    You don't remember which of the Tamrac bag is that you chose? I may take so long time to look at all Tamrac models to find the right one, i am not good in dimensions.

Preston Birdwell

I will second the recommendation to use a backpack. Your shoulders, back, and hips will thank you. I also heartily recommend the PhotoBackPacker pack with the Light Gear cases for lenses and camera. I just acquired one of these packs and I really like it. Apart from it being lighter, it's suspension (shoulder straps, back panel and hip belt) are very well designed so as to relieve stress on your upper body. In short, it carries better than any 'photo' backpack I've used. Like Peter, I have no connection with photobackpacker, other than being a satisfied customer).

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

If any photo samples of those bags will give me a good idea, i have many bags but only one is full of film gear [all medium format] and it is a wheel rolling one only, so a backpack will be a first choice for sure.
    I have some old Lowepro backpack but they are not the perfect one i want to use, so i will leave them for DSLRs as backup bags, i have time to think about a big for this one i asked here.

Check out bags by F-Stop Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by nimo956 View Post
    Check out bags by F-Stop Gear.
    Thank you!

Ya know - those old Graflex volcanoid cases were made just for all that - you can even put a shoulder strap on them

not great for trapsing around the woods - but for going from house to car to location..or for more industrial situations - quicker and easier than a backpack