Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jobo 3010 without Jobo Machine ?

Jobo 3010 without Jobo Machine ?

Michael:

Uneven development may occur if there is 'pooling' of the developer during the pour process. During the pour period, some parts of the film will be in contact with the developer for longer periods than other parts. Degree of uneven development will depend on pour time (hence uneven contact time) and concentration of the developer.

I have extra concerns with the 3010 Expert drum when it comes to static filling because of the complex design of the tank's internals and the time that it might take to reach a steady state flow pattern. This time is negligible in 'hollow' simple drums. Just fluid dynamics ....

Also, this may not even be an issue with B&W processing where we use more dilute developers, but for C-41 and E-6 it's more important.

If static pours work for you, don't change !!!

When I was discussing the manual roller solution with Jobo, they still recommended pouring developer while rotating. They described a right-angled bend, tube and funnel arrangement - give me a break ...

Caveat - I'm a process control engineer by profession ... I love automation !!!

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

cpp and cpa2 are identical beside the added digital timer(take a kitchen timer instead)in more expensive cpp. it is possible that our friend had on older version. thats why he switched to cpp. pls check jobo-site to check the difference. its easy to find out- eighter from design or serial number. if you dont find send me mail. what i have found out was poor design in the switch mechanisme(i dont remember exactly what it was but i was aware that this switch could block the rotating mechnisme in case of break. thats why i have blocked it. if interested send me mail and i will check it during june when i will restart developping and will unpack cpa2.
    www.stereopan.org
    3DStereo-Aeropanorama-Jungfraujoch

I got a Jobo 3010 and a manual roller. It all works perfectly: no scratches, very even development, no open trays, no foul odors, no sheets stuck together, consistent temperature, etc. The manual roller is small, and it's just as easy to roll it, as it is to flop film around in the dark - easier in fact. What a delight ! Works well with Pyrocat HD, with no need for rubber gloves. Thanks to all for the advice and insights !

FWIW:

I made my first motor base out of Erector Set in the 1970's. No, it was NOT multidirectional. It was easy to add small wheels at the ends to keep the drum from walking away.

I've been using Jobos for several years now, currently a CPP2. Good temperature control is necessary for modern "hot" color processes. I've had no problems with the reversing switch. There are two kinds of lifts for the Jobos; the "new" and the "old" style lift. The most noticeable difference is the clips, but there is also a change in how the upper/lower spout is selected. I've used both.

For the 3000 series drums I strongly prefer the "old" style lift, if you can get one, because the pouring-in of chemistry is much faster and more efficient and you don't waste a small amount of chemistry in the lower spout. For all other drums I prefer the "new" style lift because the clips are better.

Raising a 3000 series drum full of solution can torque the lift pretty good, especially a full 3063. To avoid breaking the lift internally (guess how I got to try both lift styles) Jobo suggests: 1) Use your left hand to hold the bottle capturing the draining solution, 2) Use your right hand to manipulate the lift, 3) Use your other hand to help lift the drum.

Re: even development. Even in a running Jobo you'll get uneven coverage for the first few seconds until the minimum volume is achieved. You won't see a difference, but I just mention this to make the perfectionists cringe.

"Good temperature control is necessary for modern "hot" color processes."

I don't use the Expert drums but the 2500/2800 drums. So take what I say with that in mind.

With both RA-4 and C-41 the drums hold temperture well enough that you can run the process on the motorbase. With RA-4 the pre-wash heats the inside of the drum. The short developer step isn't long enough to cool anything. With C-41 I do a dry preheat of the loaded tank. Basically I just let it stand in the water bath with a brick on top. Even the C-41 developer step isn't long enough to let the tank cool down.

I haven't tried E-6 and those steps are longer IIRC. That might let the tank cool down.

All the chemicals and wash water sit in a water bath built out of a picnic cooler and a fish heater.

I used to dream of one of those CPA processors. I no longer even think of it. I might keep my eye out for a ATL processor or maybe a print processor but the motorbase handles C-41,RA-4 and B&W just fine for me. YMMV

WG

Re: Jobo 3010 without Jobo Machine ?

So, is it possible to use the Jobo 3005 and or the 3010 on either the uniroller or bessler motorbase? I see both a uniroller and bessler motorbase for sale right now and am wondering if they can roll the Jobos?

I've never used a jobo before. Is it best to get a funnel and fill while in rotation or is filling before hand okay?

Thanks! I appreciate this thead.
    WG

Quote Originally Posted by William Gregory View Post
    So, is it possible to use the Jobo 3005 and or the 3010 on either the uniroller or bessler motorbase? I see both a uniroller and bessler motorbase for sale right now and am wondering if they can roll the Jobos?

I've never used a jobo before. Is it best to get a funnel and fill while in rotation or is filling before hand okay?

Thanks! I appreciate this thead.
    WG
    I generally use about 300 ml of developer, which fills in 10 seconds, with the 3006 drum held at a slight angle. My developing times are never shorter than 5 minutes, so there is no need to worry about uneven development if you don't use a funnel. Just be sure that your fill time is not long relative to your development time. I rarely use a presoak and have never had any uneven development.

If you are concerned about uneven development you can use a presoak, some time is required for the developer to displace the water from the emulsion.

WG

Thanks Ron!

And will these drums work on the uniroller or bessler motorbase with no troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by William Gregory View Post
    Thanks Ron!

And will these drums work on the uniroller or bessler motorbase with no troubles?
    I can't say, as I use mine on the $25 manual Jobo roller base. I like that because I can control the rotational speed and the number of revolutions before reversing direction.

Good luck!

I recently purchased a jobo 3010 after I had been using the 3005 on a beseler motor base for about a year and half with amazing success....... the 3010 hasn't been the same success I had been experiencing with 3005. I may have gotten a faulty jobo drum as one tube wouldn't fix a neg all the way and the others had a little bit of trouble doing the same as well. I used plenty of chemistry and the drum was level and rotating just fine...................