Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jobo 3010 without Jobo Machine ?

Re: Jobo 3010 without Jobo Machine ?

I too have no room for a Jobo in my darkroom, ever since I lost access to a Wyng Lynch I have been using a roller base like many here and use a funnel for Dev and Stop while rotating, once stop bath is done I just pour it down the hole.

Great system.

Dave Karp

This setup for Jobo Expert drums works well for me, and gives my wife endless material to tease me about:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=51174

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    This setup for Jobo Expert drums works well for me, and gives my wife endless material to tease me about:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=51174
    David,

I'm interested in using this setup for color too. Can this be use with C-41 or does the temp drop too fast?

Asher

Dave Karp

Hi Asher,

To be truthful, I have no idea. The temperature in my house usually ranges from 68-72 degrees. For years, I have been using two bath black and white developers, and that temperature range works just fine for black and white processing. Whether the setup I have will work for color is a question I am not qualified to answer. I defer to those who posted above on that question.

Cool Re: Jobo 3010 without Jobo Machine ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Is there any advantage to using a Jobo drum and rolling it by hand as compared with using BTZS tubes? I did six 4x5 negatives at a time with the tubes, the Jobo drum I used briefly did 10, but if it was important to me I think I could do 10 BTZS tubes at a time. And the tubes possess what used to be the big advantage for me of being able to process different negatives for different times in the same run as opposed to having to do one run for N negatives, another for plus, and a third for minus. After I started scanning and printing digitally instead of using a fume room I stopped worrying that much about pluses and minuses but I still appreciated the ability to occasionally vary times within the same run.
    Brian,
    I can address one advantage of using a manual roller, upside down roller skates, etc.: If the rollers (like the Jobo built model) would fit in a sink and the Jobo tank/drum fit on top of the rollers and could be partially submerged in water in the sink that would be better than having to juggle times around the temperature in my kitchen. I'm ok in the winter. Summers in Houston are a killer. A system of tempered water in a sink might also open the possibilites for color.
    No help on the multiple development times of course.
    Was that clear as mud?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    I use a quart/liter size funnel and attached clear plastic tube and end fitting from the auto department at Walmart. I'm sure auto parts stores sell something similar. I cut about half of the delivery tube off. My version has a twist turn ON/OFF valve between the funnel & tube. I have it set to about 2/3 open.
    Place the drum/tank on the motor base. Opening over the sink to catch dribbles. Turn it on.
    Funnel in left hand. 700-800ml developer in graduate right hand. Gralab timer close by.
    Pour all the developer in the funnel. Turn timer on.
    About 25 seconds before the end I dump the developer in the sink. Tank/drum back on base with about 10 seconds to go. Same arrangement for stop. Pour stop when the timer buzzes. I am most comfortable with times around 10 minutes or more & Xtol 1:3. That way any slight deviation in the fill/dump/fill cycle doesn't throw things off too much. Works for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gihl_220421_0044.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	246451

When the development time is over, I quickly lift the drum and dump the developer in the sink for 10 seconds. And pour the Stop(water) from the kettle while rolling the drum by hand on the Styrofoam block. Then, put the drum back on the motor base.

But for others, it seems that just like you pour the developer, you pour the stop while the drum is rotating on the motor base.
    Will this be more helpful in maintaining even development?
    Chamonix 45N-2, Chamonix 45H-1

I think some sort of wind-up (non electric) mechanical rolling mechanism would be great! Could have an adjustable speed governor, and the option of going in just one direction...or both!

there is always going to be an uneven development issue, IF that is an actual issue provided what you are using a drum for.

Honestly, if even using a 90* angled funnel system, when turning,, you will always have uneven saturation of chemicals.

Even using the OLD style bessler paper drums, that used an open face trough to hold the chemicals, and when rotated provide a nearly instant dumping,, youll always get longer contact time as the chemical spreads out.