Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Share your experience with Elwood 8x10 enlarger please

Share your experience with Elwood 8x10 enlarger please

I am looking into buying used 8x10 Elwood enlarger, but would like to know more about it. Please share your experience, if any. Both good or bad. Thanks!

Re: Share your experience with Elwood 8x10 enlarger please

I bought mine in 1982 and it's been in my darkroom ever since. Still using the dome head with filters for multi contrast. It will produce a print that I like in both 8x10 and 5x7. Make sure you get the frosted glass pieces above the neg and the original neg carrier is excellent. To sum up they are rugged affordable large format enlargers that last forever.

Thank you, Bob! Any problems with alignment over these years? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ilford4ever View Post
    Thank you, Bob! Any problems with alignment over these years? Thanks
    It is easy to align, I built a 2x8" frame to hold the enlarger and a seperate plywood table to hold the easel. The manual has alignment instructions. I make lens boards from plywood.

I have one I use with an Aristo Cold Light Head. I also cut a 4x5 mask to enlarge 4x5 negatives. It's big, heavy. It's notot precise and never bothered with alignment. It's awkward to focus, especially if you're making a print 16x20 and up. You have to have long arms or, an assistant. Mine did not come with an base. The previous owner had it bolted to the floor. I bolted it to an old desktop and put casters on it so I can move it around. There's a small table that I put my easel on. I have a copy of the original manual around. If you need me to - and I can remember to - I can make a copy of it and emal it to you.

In short, it's the next best thing to getting one of those HUGE Durst or other rediculously large 8x10 printers. If you can get it for less than $300, go for it.

I'm also trying to figure out how to use it for 35mm printing so I can use the cold light.

Thanks, I'd appreciate the copy of the manual. The guy wants like $550 for it plus it is total of 5-6 hour drive. Just want to make sure it's worth the investment and hard work. This one comes with the original metal stand. Do you think it will fit into one of those little u-Haul vans? Are you happy with the prints it is producing? Thanks!

I don't have one, but at that price I wouldn't be looking at it. Granted, I'm spoiled living in close proximity to NYC and Philadelphia, so I see a lot of better equipment come by at better prices. I've seen Elwood's sell for $75 here. If you can get them to come down, then maybe. I've generally heard decent things about them if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive 8x10 option. Best of luck.

Leo

Thanks, I'd appreciate the copy of the manual. The guy wants like $550 for it plus it is total of 5-6 hour drive. Just want to make sure it's worth the investment and hard work. This one comes with the original metal stand. Do you think it will fit into one of those little u-Haul vans? Are you happy with the prints it is producing? Thanks!
    Because of their age, these things come in every condition from junk to excellent. Price sounds high and I would make sure of not making a long drive for nothing, any lenses included? Mine is the model with hinged column and was easy to haul in a suv

Someone gave me one of those hinged models. I've never set it up. Looks like a corroded disaster but must have been a good thing at one time. If anyone wants it, they are welcome to it. All original with negative carrier. Tyler, Texas.

I'd drive to Texas and get the free one. Or keep looking for something more modern. It took me a year to find any 8x10 enlarger close enough to get in an afternoon.