Thread: Light leak with betterscanning film holder ?

Light leak with betterscanning film holder ?

Hey all.

I'm scanning some 4x5 colour slides with a better scanning film holder (I'm using an Epson v700 scanner).
    Sometimes, I get what appears to be a crescent shaped"artifact" near the top right hand side of the scan. It coincides with the "finger gaps" in the film holder.

I've attached a small copy of the scan with an arrow pointing at the atrifact.
    I was wondering if anyone else using this combination of film holder/scanner has had the same issue ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-130311-0001_s.jpg  

Re: Light leak with betterscanning film holder ?

a friend of mine had the exact same problem, we tried everything, has never been resolved and support had nothing to say about it

Micheal contacted me directly by email and we are working to get his situation understood and resolved.

>>and support had nothing to say about it <<

Tyler, this is not true. I have worked with anyone who has an ongoing question. If your friend is still having a problem, he has not informed me that he has an ongoing situation that was not solved with previous suggestions so that I would know their desire to continue to troubleshoot their issue.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

I'll have her contact you again, probably some kind of miscommunication

my apologies for suggesting support was less than helpful... bottom line, after a lot of messing around, she much later discovered this- "I think I had the cartridge in wrong. The curved corners had to be sitting toward the front of the scanner."
    We did spend some time on it as she was here working in the studio on an upcoming show I was printing and it was never solved back then, her recollection is the above. Perhaps this caused some internal light source reflection as we did try blocking off all external light... Maybe that is relevant to lord vader's problem?
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
    Hey all.

I'm scanning some 4x5 colour slides with a better scanning film holder (I'm using an Epson v700 scanner).
    Sometimes, I get what appears to be a crescent shaped"artifact" near the top right hand side of the scan. It coincides with the "finger gaps" in the film holder.

I've attached a small copy of the scan with an arrow pointing at the atrifact.
    I was wondering if anyone else using this combination of film holder/scanner has had the same issue ?
    I use the betterscanning holder and have never had an issue. One day though, I was making a scan on my 4990 in a dark room and noticed all the light spilling out of the sides of the scanner. I considered if that much light was spilling out at night, there was probably a fair bit spilling IN durring the day. Since then I've always drapped an old changing bag over the scanner when scanning. I didn't notice a big difference, but it only takes a second so why not?

It could help with your problem. Good luck!