Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Latest weather in Yosemite

Journey Man

Re: Latest whether in Yosemite

The Yosemite Conservancy web site just came up with a live stream of the Yosemite Fall.

http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/w...yosemite-falls

"Live Streaming Video", . "Live Falling Video" seems more apropos.

Indeed, Half Dome cannot be seen from Tuolumne Mdws., Olmstead and environs being the easiest vantage points (from a road) around those parts.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by NickyLai View Post
    Did you mean to shot Half Dome from "Olmsted Point"? Or, something else? The Olmsted Point (GPS 37°48'39" N 119°29'5" W) is about 10 miles down (or before) Tuolumne Meadow visitor center (GPS 37°52'24" N 119°21'34" W).

I was at Olmsted Point last year on May the 20th, a sunny day, and got a big surprise. A Park Ranger was serving out solar glasses to watch the solar eclipse. At about the same time, I also got the incredible so called "hound-dog-glow" of the Half Dome with the 500mm TED Nikkor lens from Olmsted Point. See the attached photo, it had a crop factor of about 1.2 down the 500mm.

All these was not quite planned, drove up there from Wawona campsite at the flow of my flexible schedule by estimate the direction of the sun light. I will try to go again later this month.

Attachment 94916
    Yes, that's what I meant. My shots was tighter...including that one lonely tree, that sits on the cliff on the right side. The lighting was way strange, and that's what made the photo. Glad you had a chance to explore.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by NickyLai View Post
    Did you mean to shot Half Dome from "Olmsted Point"? Or, something else? The Olmsted Point (GPS 37°48'39" N 119°29'5" W) is about 10 miles down (or before) Tuolumne Meadow visitor center (GPS 37°52'24" N 119°21'34" W).

I was at Olmsted Point last year on May the 20th, a sunny day, and got a big surprise. A Park Ranger was serving out solar glasses to watch the solar eclipse. At about the same time, I also got the incredible so called "hound-dog-glow" of the Half Dome with the 500mm TED Nikkor lens from Olmsted Point. See the attached photo, it had a crop factor of about 1.2 down the 500mm.

All these was not quite planned, drove up there from Wawona campsite at the flow of my flexible schedule by estimate the direction of the sun light. I will try to go again later this month.

Attachment 94916
    You have convinced me. I'm going to Yosemite some time soon!

Preston Birdwell

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrick View Post
    You have convinced me. I'm going to Yosemite some time soon!
    Fredrick,

Go soon--like before Memorial Day weekend. During that holiday, and after (unitil the Autumn) Yosemite is a zoo; especially the Valley!

The areas between Olmsted Point, up and over Tioga Pass and then on down to Lee Vining canyon and Mono Lake wiil be cooler, and much less crazy.

--P
    Last edited by Preston; 17-May-2013 at 06:26. Reason: typo
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Fredrick,

Go soon--like before Memorial Day weekend. During that holiday, and after (unitil the Autumn) Yosemite is a zoo; especially the Valley!

The areas between Olmsted Point, up and over Tioga Pass and then on down to Lee Vining canyon and Mono Lake wiil be cooler, and much less crazy.

--P
    I'll probably go next Easter or shortly after, I want to there to be some snow left on the mountains. I live in Norway, so it will require some planning. Is Yosemite even accessible around Easter? Also, does the train from San Francisco still go up there? I watched a documentary about Ansel Adams, and it's mentioned that they took the train up there the first time he visited. I could probably google all this too. I'll do that too, but it's good to hear responses from people that have been there.

-Fredrick.

Out of Plumb

I've only been once, but my favorite hike was to North Dome and Upper Yosemite falls. Carried my Monorail 4x5 and took some great picture of Half Dome face on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0431.jpg  
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”

Drew Wiley

Fredrick - Yosemite Valley is accessible year round, though there seem to be a few days each winter when the snow can be an issue and tire chains might be required. The road uphill past Tuolumne and over Tioga Pass is generally open from the end of May thru Oct, though again, there can be exceptions - the Pass opened a little bit earlier this year due to dry conditions. Yosemite Natl Park is far bigger than the Valley and includes quite a bit of high country which is only trail-accessible. The Valley itself is comparatively low elevation, and I'd avoid it in the summer due to heat, smoke, and crowds. The nice thing about going in March or
    April is that you can also visit the spectacular wildflower blooms downriver in the lower hill country towards Mariposa. But you won't be able to get into the upper
    reaches of the Park, with the exception of the ski area.

Preston Birdwell

Fredrick,

No more train to Yosemite. I think your best bet would be to rent a car and drive to the park. If you rent a car be sure tire chains are included-chains may be required on park roads at any time. Since you're planning on Easter-time, a snow storm can't be ruled out.

As Drew says, the lower Merced River canyon and the foothills along Hwy 140 is quite stunning. You won't be hurting for opportunities in Yosemite and the surrounding area, that's for sure.

I was there a couple of weeks ago (May 2-5) with a couple of other LF Forum members. It was gorgeous, and the Dogwood bloom this year was wonderful.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Fredrick,

No more train to Yosemite. I think your best bet would be to rent a car and drive to the park. If you rent a car be sure tire chains are included-chains may be required on park roads at any time. Since you're planning on Easter-time, a snow storm can't be ruled out.

As Drew says, the lower Merced River canyon and the foothills along Hwy 140 is quite stunning. You won't be hurting for opportunities in Yosemite and the surrounding area, that's for sure.

I was there a couple of weeks ago (May 2-5) with a couple of other LF Forum members. It was gorgeous, and the Dogwood bloom this year was wonderful.

--P
    Thank you. Unfortunately I do not have a driver's permit. I would have to make use of public transport, and I'm guessing that would be tricky at that part of the year.
    A winter storm wouldn't be the worst that could happen. I love fresh snow and stormy weather.

-Fredrick.