Page 12 of 211 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Re: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Thanks John, Dan, Jason.
    I used Velcro for mounting the plate , sandwiched the 1/2 in wooden block between the plate and the wood flooring then hang it just like any picture frame. Same mounting methode with the black glass Ambrotype but haven't tried the Ambrotype negative yet.
    Jason , I want to hear about your thoughs with the Ambrotype negative display.

16x20. Voigtlander #8. F4.3. 2 seconds. Note to self: 16x20 seems to exacerbate all chemical issues.
    Ed Ross

Quote Originally Posted by life_in_sepia View Post

16x20. Voigtlander #8. F4.3. 2 seconds. Note to self: 16x20 seems to exacerbate all chemical issues.
    very cool styling here. Very.

Thank you!
    Ed Ross

Jason Windingstad

I've only mounted a few clear glass ambrotypes as gifts for friends and family. For one I simply placed a piece of black paper behind the plate and mounted it in a traditional single mat picture frame. The other I backed with a dark brown piece of cloth and mounted it to a piece of stained wood with some copper wire in each of the four corners (drilled some small holes in the wood to run the wire through). Turned out ok, probably could have just stained the wood really dark and not even worried about the dark brown cloth.

Jason Windingstad

[QUOTE=life_in_sepia;1008743]More steps. Plates #s 2 and 3. 16x20. Tintypes. Chamonix and Voigtlander #8.

Stunning. I love this one.

btw, i tried to search but failed miserably.. A bit offtopic but then may be not.

Could anyone in US suggest good resource to order 8x10 glass plates ? Friend of my is trying to embark into collodion, and he wants to do ambrotypes.. He tried to order locally from frameshop and seems like their cutting skills arent exactly.. umm.. good (ok, they suck, lets be honest) - they managed to get pack of few sheets where sizes all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by windij View Post
    I've only mounted a few clear glass ambrotypes as gifts for friends and family. For one I simply placed a piece of black paper behind the plate and mounted it in a traditional single mat picture frame. The other I backed with a dark brown piece of cloth and mounted it to a piece of stained wood with some copper wire in each of the four corners (drilled some small holes in the wood to run the wire through). Turned out ok, probably could have just stained the wood really dark and not even worried about the dark brown cloth.
    Jason, thanks for sharing your Ambrotype mounting method. I'm still working how to integrate the wood flooring into the Ambrotype mounting but have not yet found any solution yet. Will keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    btw, i tried to search but failed miserably.. A bit offtopic but then may be not.

Could anyone in US suggest good resource to order 8x10 glass plates ? Friend of my is trying to embark into collodion, and he wants to do ambrotypes.. He tried to order locally from frameshop and seems like their cutting skills arent exactly.. umm.. good (ok, they suck, lets be honest) - they managed to get pack of few sheets where sizes all over the place.
    I cut my glass plate using the professional glass cutter and they are Made in Japan. You can order it form your glass shop but not the frame shop nor Home Depot. They rank from $40 to $60 . The glass cutter has oil in it, very precise and easy to work with. Let me know if you can't find one.

A plate for my son Dylan B-day.I got what I wanted but he's not a big fan of being photographed.