Page 155 of 211 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 2102

Thread: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Re: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Well, I certainly learned a lot from asking an innocent question! Thanks everyone, for your answers (so far!)

Collodion - Wet Plate Images

I am new to wet-plate and wanted to post a few portraits I did back around the new year. Still need to scan some of my more recent ones but thought I would post a few.

All of these are 4x5 ambrotypes. I haven't had much luck making good scans yet (another process to I need to practice) so these are all photos of the plates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ophelia1small.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	146845

Here is a recent 8x10 plate on aluminum. As per a rather interesting discussion I can honestly say on my computer screen (Mac) this scan (epson V700) looks very much the color and tonality of the actual plate. I made an 8x10 print (Epson R3000) for the model which I often do for local models to say thanks and it also looks true to the actual plate. I am not endorsing these products but they work for me. I only sell original plates at the gallery that represents me, but I don't think there is anything remotely wrong or distasteful in anyway of making prints for sale. I have purchased digital ink jet prints as well Platinum Palladium prints from digital negatives that were from wet plate positives and I display them at my house. I just choose to sell plates, but it is just a personal decision. Peace.

I shot this quarterplate yesterday. My scanner software is kaput, so I had to manually adjust the twain input. This is pretty close to the actual plate color, but not perfect. My old custom New Mexico mule saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon13 View Post

Here is a recent 8x10 plate on aluminum.
    Beautiful! What camera and lens?

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Beautiful! What camera and lens?
    Camera is unimportant as long as it has adequate movements IMO. This is my favorite 8x10 lens which is a Dallmeyer 3A 16 inch f4 petzval. I shoot it 75% of the time on 8x10 inch portraits.

Camera is unimportant as long as it has adequate movements IMO. This is my favorite 8x10 lens which is a Dallmeyer 3A 16 inch f4 petzval. I shoot it 75% of the time on 8x10 inch portraits.
    Very arresting image. How was it illuminated?

one of the better plates from my 2nd session . lessons learned :

- how long to wait for collodion to settle before dipping it into silver
    - too fast dipping and design of dipper causes swirly patterns on lower edge with streaks to the top
    - striations / crepe lines solved by rocking the plate correctly

9x12 aluminium, LED lights, 1s @ f5.6, OWH, MD-4 (15-20s), fomafix, epson v500 scan

Here is a recent 8x10 plate on aluminum. As per a rather interesting discussion I can honestly say on my computer screen (Mac) this scan (epson V700) looks very much the color and tonality of the actual plate. I made an 8x10 print (Epson R3000) for the model which I often do for local models to say thanks and it also looks true to the actual plate. I am not endorsing these products but they work for me. I only sell original plates at the gallery that represents me, but I don't think there is anything remotely wrong or distasteful in anyway of making prints for sale. I have purchased digital ink jet prints as well Platinum Palladium prints from digital negatives that were from wet plate positives and I display them at my house. I just choose to sell plates, but it is just a personal decision. Peace.
    Saw this when you posted it a while ago. An amazing portrait... her hair looks incredible. As far as the standard "front on" portrait goes... this is great.

Svend

My first plates, 4x5, from a Speed Graphic and plate holder by Jody Ake. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LisaWP1 978.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	148430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LisaWP1 976.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	148431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LisaWP1 975.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	148432