Page 41 of 211 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Re: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Have any of you tested and determined peroxides are present? I'm purchasing my ether from chemsavers. They use a special can they claim helps prevent peroxides. They also suggest keeping it in a cool place and say it should be ok. I only order .5 L at a time and go through it in a few weeks after its opened.

I have about 80ml in a can that I'll test this week and a fresh unopened one. I really don't expect to find any but think I'll check. I'm going to use potassium iodide in a 10% solution for the test.

Andrew Moxom

Don, if you make an iodizer (mix ether with alcohol, with the correct metal salts) the problem is a non-issue. Also, most ether supplied today had additives meant to prevent peroxide formation... The iodizer method I refer to stabilizes the ether, and it becomes so easy to mix a batch of collodion... With the formula I use, 100ml of iodizer to 75ml of collodion USP will give you a fresh collodion you can use right away. I use this as my standard approach, and have used it for a few years now. It saves mixing a large batch of collodion. Also, as the mixed batch ages, it will get redder, and more contrasty.. As it gets used, just add the right proportion of iodizer and collodion again, and you have the best of both worlds... Fresh collodion, which has the speed, and the contrast of the older collodion.

I only mix smaller batches. I'm doing my own modification of the Quinn formula with very good success. I only mix about 125ml at a time. I generally use that in a week or so.

I'm not really concerned about peroxides because it store it in a mined can in a very cool place tightly sealed. A half liter is usually gone in about a month to six weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I agree, I plan to be careful to not get industrial disease after surviving 40 years in factory.

Why poison oneself now...

I do like your images!

Be safe.
    thank you Randy (I survived 35 years in hospital) & Scott!

Even in a sealed container with a stabilizer, ether will eventually produce peroxides. I know....
    I actually still use it even though I REALLY don't recommend it. It's headspace you need to worry about.
    However, as andrew said, make an iodizer with it and don't worry. If not, mix it 1:1 with alcohol and it'll be fine.
    Ethanol is one of the stablizers used and it's only about 1% as I recall. Mixing it 1:1 you have 50%...so all's well.
    The irony of peroxide presence is it might make a 'unique' collodion when ammonium salts are used.
    But that's another story and one I can't completely explain.

So...you can easily prevent all this by buying small quantities frequently and using them in an iodizer or mixing with ethanol.
    It's actually minor compared to silver nitrate in the eyes IMO. Or KCN in a cut....

And how many people have been injured by collodion peroxides, silver nitrate, or KCN from wetplating in say, the last 100 years? Survey says - none.

Maybe 'cause the dead ones couldn't fill out the survey?

Silver nitrate and KCN are well known. For the non (yet) wet-platers, can someone explain more about the risks of ether and peroxides?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Silver nitrate and KCN are well known. For the non (yet) wet-platers, can someone explain more about the risks of ether and peroxides?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroxide

And your typical hydrogen peroxide is what you can use to
    - clean wounds
    - bleach hair

In dilluted form of course.

In bad case peroxide makes your typical polimer go funny (see link above). But its less common.
    Generally - same thing, as long as you ventilate area and be respectful of chems - not much can happen to you.
    Overwise - Darwin's awards always looking for heroes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether_peroxide
    Is the more specific one. It's a friction sensitive explosive....