Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak 2D handle rplacement?!?!?

Kodak 2D handle rplacement?!?!?

I have a nice replacement handle for my Kodak 2D 8x10 ... But when I tried to remove the original brass retaining brackets that hold the handle I quickly gave it up.

It looks like they are just brads/nails but when I tried to gently pry them up it quickly became apparent that the amount of force required might end up splitting the wood ... Which is not an option.

I'm sure some of you guys have done this ... But how?????

Re: Kodak 2D handle rplacement?!?!?

I just broke the hande on my 2D so I'm interested too. I took a quick look when the handle broke and it appears that the brads extend through the wood and are bent over. I figured that It would be easier to remove the brads if I removed the bellow first, the I could straighten out the brads. It would be great to hear from someone who has replaced their handle.

Btw where did you find your replacement handle?

Rpger

I'll join the chorus and say I'd like to know both about the replacement handle (I could use one) and the replacement procedure. It looks easy enough: pry up the tines on the brads, remove them, install the handle, and bend the tines back down. Of course, most of these things (*cough* bellows replacement *cough*) look much easier to do in theory than they are in practice, especially if one has never done them before.

Jonathan

The handle brackets are riveted in with split rivets, you'll do some damage if you pry them up
    to take them out cleanly the rear bellows have to be taken out, then you can use a small screw
    driver to pry the tangs up. Those rivets are steel, at least on my 2D's and the tangs will break
    most of the time.

So once the split rivets break, does anyone have a source for new ones? Guess I should try googling split rivets.

Roger

A simpler option is replacing the handle with nylon webbing and a small buckle. You can just thread it through the brackets without removing them. If you do remove the brackets, I think small nuts and bolts with washers would be better than rivets to reattach it.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    A simpler option is replacing the handle with nylon webbing and a small buckle. You can just thread it through the brackets without removing them. If you do remove the brackets, I think small nuts and bolts with washers would be better than rivets to reattach it.
    I'll admit to having a black dog collar on my 5X7 Deardorff.

For those who want leather handles :http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunk...ts/handles.htm Scroll down to the Typewriter Handles, TH-16. They appear to be identical to the handles on my 8x10 Kodak 2D and are only $6.00.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    So once the split rivets break, does anyone have a source for new ones? Guess I should try googling split rivets.

Roger
    That's probably your best bet if you want the OEM look, Hanson rivets may have the size
    there is also McMaster, but I think McMasters sizes run on the big side.

BarryS's solution is probably the easiest, 2-56 screws and lock nuts are plentiful, cheap and
    available everywhere.

Just realized after Micheals post, that his link and possibly other luggage repair/replacement
    sites may also have split rivets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    That's probably your best bet if you want the OEM look, Hanson rivets may have the size
    there is also McMaster, but I think McMasters sizes run on the big side.

BarryS's solution is probably the easiest, 2-56 screws and lock nuts are plentiful, cheap and
    available everywhere.
    I got my 2-56 screws and lock nuts from McMaster-Carr.
    Michael Cienfuegos