Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting in the rain and near rain

Shooting in the rain and near rain

I'm planning an overseas LF road trip, shooting a lot from near the car. It's gonna rain, at least some, and, being a Californian, I don't know what to do about it (when it rains here, I stay home and watch tv). Do people actually shoot outside with actual raindrops falling? If so, what do you do to protect the camera, and especially the lens? (I'm taking an ABS camera, not too worried about it vs. the weather) Are the results worth it?

I solicit your advice, equipment/technique suggestions, warnings, pontifications...

TIA,

I shoot in the rain, snow, whatever comes my way. It really helps to have someone to hold a large golf umbrella over you and a tarp as well if you can manage it. If at all possible I shoot out the side door of my good old 71 VW hippy van. Works great!
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

My experience on vacation in England has been that color film (with a slight warming filter) fares much better in cloudy, rainy weather. B&W depends heavily on highlight and shadow created by the key light (sun) to describe the three dimensions of reality onto a two-dimension photograph.

With no shadows, the gray stone buildings of the Cotswalds, for example, tend to blend into one another. You can’t tell where one ends and the other begins. And increasing the contrast through extended development is no substitute for the missing key light.

On the other hand, nothing adds more interest to a scene than the shimmer of wet streets and the reflections in puddles. Especially at night.

I use a cheap plastic shower cap for 4x5 if there is a chance of rain (I hate to get my hair wet, what's left of it). Fortunately, it only rains here once in a blue moon, so it isn't a big problem. tim, tucson

Living on the west coast of Canada (our rain capital :>)) we get a fair amount of the stuff. To get around the "wet camera syndrome" I went to an outdoor fabric store and bought a square of rain-proof fabric. Next, I draped the sheet over the camera to locate where it would hang over the lens. I had a stiff piece of plastic sewn so that it formed a visor over the lens (about 8"). A piece of velcro holds the plastic onto the front standard... the remaining fabric serves as my darkcloth.

Hope that helps...

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Hi - I live in the UK, so I know all about the rain! My wife made me an oversized dark cloth - lightweight black cotton on the inside, waterproof white black-out material on the outside (I think it has a rubberised layer, so it really is rainproof). This is large enough to fit over the whole camera. I use a Lee hood on the lens with a graduated filter - just the clear part over the lens - its easier/less nervewracking wiping the polyester clear than it is getting the lens wet! I also open the camera out when I get home and extend the bellows, so that any humidity is dried off over night.

Erics advice is spot on - the big umbrella protects you and your other gear while your camera is snug under the waterproof dark cloth! One other refinement is a lightweight three-legged camping stool - you might have to wait for quite some time for a break in the weather! And did I mention a book? I nearly got through Kafka's Metamorphosis during a recent trip to Wales!

Hope this helps! Regards, Neil.

I have used a black back-pack rain cover (size L), works fine in steady drizzle, it covers the camera and works as dark cloth at the same time.

One thing I am interested in is Ebony's all-weather focusing cloth. I am sure it will not be inexpensive but the design looks sound for those bad weather days or when caught out by the rain. Check out their website under "accessories".

Anyone with experience on this piece of gear?

I actually have the ebony cloth and it works as described -- even keeping the photographer dry. I have used it in pretty strong rain. You can use it to cover the camera if you move about with the camera on the tripod. It sort of acts like a very large lens hood also, so you have to watch out for vignetting. Also, because of the design, there is a bit of light leak from the front, so it is a bit less efficient than sone dark cloths. Overall, I like it a lot, since it is very compact and light. It would probably work on other cameras, but fits into the cold shoe on the ebony front standard with an adapter that is basically a large clip on the front of a flexible gooseneck.

John, I'm afraid you were pointing your camera at the wrong cottages! Cotswold country houses are famously made of the local sandstone which is a warm honey colour - especially pretty when hit by the setting sun's rays. If they were grey, you probably slipped too far west and in to Wales where the local slate is used... But you are right - they cry out for colour rather than B&W.

When it's raining, I stay under shelter until it stops if I'm packing LF! One good thing about the more scenic parts of the UK is that the weather tends to change quickly in spring, and autumn, so if you don't like the weather at the moment, hang about for an hour and it will probably change; or try driving 5 miles to the next valley: the sun's probably shining there (at least, until you get there it was)...

Cheers,