Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 processing method: practical?

4x5 processing method: practical?

hello--

A photographer has posted a YT video explaining a method of 4x5 processing.

In it, he takes the exposed 4x5 film and curls it, longways--emulsion in, of course--and secures it with a type of rubber band. The ends of the curl do not touch, allowing chemical bath to reach the emulsion. He may then place 4 of these...'curls' into a Paterson System 4 tank for agitation.

My admittedly inexperienced analysis wants to conclude that for 4x5 film, it is, indeed, superior to tray processing--avoiding scratches, splashes and spills, etc. But what do you pros think? Is it, in fact, a trade off (something lost/something gained)?

Thank you!

Dean

Re: 4x5 processing method: practical?

Sounds like the taco method to me.

It is the "taco" method and can be used very successfully. The only time I used it, years ago, was one taco at a time in a vertical tube with a cap on the bottom and in a complete darkroom. Used PVC pipe with a removable cap on the top (home built) for 8X10 film (Tech pan). Worked fine but there are other embodiments of the taco method. Can be twirled in a tray of course and used in some commercial tanks. I used ordinary rubber bands to contain the taco.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

The anti-halation coating on the backs of some films may not be completely removed underneath the rubber bands in the taco method.

I've used the taco method with great results on 4x5 film. Very easy as long as your Paterson tank is tall enough.

I just spent a few $ and got the MOD45. Fits perfectly in the Paterson tank and up to 6 sheets of 4x5 at a time.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

a Visqueen darkroom...

thank you, LFP community, for sharing your expertise! Much to consider here, food for thought...

At any rate--and, while I am assimilating this, I came up with another idea (however--and, as there is nothing new under the sun--chances are that the 'theory' has been applied by someone else.). And, that is: a 'darkroom' in the apartment.

Several photographers (here and at photo.net and APUG) wrote of tray processing for 4x5. It occurred to me that using a change bag arrangement to load the Riteways is quite...constricting, to say the least. Also, to utilize trays would necessitate a bona fide darkroom--I am fairly certain that getting my apartment pitch black would be difficult at best, what with the site lighting on all night at the property, etc.

I thought it might be appropriate to buy a camper's tent and put every thing inside--a small table, trays, Riteways, 4x5 film, chemicals, etc.--and, then cover it with a darker material. But, (and, following Ockham), why not, I mused, then delete the camper's tent and just purchase a roll of Visqueen*, cut off a 12x12 foot piece and hang it from a swag hook on the ceiling ('pinch off' a handful at the center and hang).

I know for a fact that it would enable a pitch-black environment within (without hassling with window covering, etc.), with plenty of room to work inside--whether loading Riteways, tray processing, etc.

Has anyone tried this--it's inexpensive, collapsible (I can fold it and stow it away in a kitchen drawer), lightproof, as roomy as I need it to be.

Best,

Dean

*Visqueen: heavy black plastic used at construction sites for covering material, etc.

(addendum: apartments here designed with meager bathroom space)

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Taylor View Post
    I am fairly certain that getting my apartment pitch black would be difficult at best
    You don't need to do it to your entire apartment just one small room like the bathroom.

I thought it might be appropriate to buy a camper's tent and put every thing inside--a small table, trays, Riteways, 4x5 film, chemicals, etc.--and, then cover it with a darker material. But, (and, following Ockham), why not, I mused, then delete the camper's tent and just purchase a roll of Visqueen*, cut off a 12x12 foot piece and hang it from a swag hook on the ceiling ('pinch off' a handful at the center and hang)
    Sounds like a LOT more work then just blocking out the light in a bathroom.

I can fold it and stow it away in a kitchen drawer
    Doubtful you fan fit a camping tent into a kitchen drawer.

If you have a window in the bathroom just cover it with a peace of black visqueen taped up with painters tape so it is easy to remove. And put a towel over the bottom of the bathroom door.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Dean, I use our small bathroom for tray developing (and contact printing) of 4x5 and even 8x10. I just lay the trays out in the tub. Not ideal, but works well.

Most bathrooms are easy to make light tight even if they have a window.

There's a bit of clean up afterwards to transform it back into a bathroom without pissing my wife off, but it's very doable.

Good luck!

The MOD45 processor looks pretty neat.

But it does take 1 litre of solution.

I can do up to four 4 x 5 sheets in my 8 x 10 Beseler drum on a roller base. One can find these or the similar Uniroller drums at ebay from time to time at moderate cost. With my drum I get by using 4 oz of solution.