Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freelance travel photography??

Re: Freelance travel photography??

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I do a fair amount of this both on assignment and via stock and no one has mentioned anything vaguely like this in maybe 10 years. And as per real estate photography in LF? Jezz RE photography is very low paying in my experience (compared to architectural photography-at all price points) and would be impossible to make any money shooting LF. You get two hours maybe of run and shoot image making and they want the files tomorrow.
    I was thinking more high end real estate. I shot a 14 million dollar mansion in Thailand with my Canon- the whole shoot would have looked a million times better on 4x5- in my eyes anyway. I always struggle with straight lines and such with the DSLR. In any event, I am looking forward to playing around and now have another great excuse to visit some of the most beautiful and interesting places...

Hmmm you ask for advice and get it from a master. You then dismiss it offhand. Good luck.
    +1 what an odd response

Kevin Kolosky

Seems like the real dilemma here is between being able to control perspective or not.

The best of both worlds might be to use a camera with perspective control and use medium format type digital backs on it.

The Linhoff M679CS might be the ideal solution.

I used an old 6x9 with a few degrees of movement to it when I was in school and fell in love. . . Cant for the life of me remember the name of the camera- super 24? Something or another.
    If I get serious I will upgrade- I imagine that the sky is the limit as far as digital backs and such. For now, I am stuck sifting the dredges on Ebay looking for a couple of unwanted and worthy lenses to complete my kit- however am excited to take the beast out and make some magic Seems as though my next lens will cost as much as my complete kit. Might be smart just to buy whole camera kits and sell off what I dont need.
    In any event, I look forward to sharing my first tests with the camera. I am now seeking out a tripod and ordering film. Starting from scratch. Kind of funny- Ill be traveling with just about the biggest camera kit going. Looks like if I really want to make some money instead of spend it I'll need to replace my stolen Canon. Money isnt everything I guess. Hopefully this camera doesnt get taken away in Burmese Gov't or anything. That place is as worthy a subject for photography as any. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    Seems like the real dilemma here is between being able to control perspective or not.

The best of both worlds might be to use a camera with perspective control and use medium format type digital backs on it.

The Linhoff M679CS might be the ideal solution.
    When film was king 35mm ruled in travel photography and "real estate" photography. I know tons of people in both fields-including section of my own income. Yes some was done with larger formats but overwhelmingly 35mm dominated. Travel magazines (the main outlet for travel photographs) and realtors have always been cheap (even when marketing high end houses) and are much worse now. Digital hasn't raised the bar in these areas, it has lowered it. There is nothing you need to do in either of these fields commercially that a good FF DSLR with T/S lenses can't handle. These are not fields that demand top quality. That Linhoff and a set of lenses and back will run what 60K? I shudder to think how I would pay that off in travel or RE photography.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

When film was king 35mm ruled in travel photography and "real estate" photography. I know tons of people in both fields-including section of my own income. Yes some was done with larger formats but overwhelmingly 35mm dominated. Travel magazines (the main outlet for travel photographs) and realtors have always been cheap (even when marketing high end houses) and are much worse now. Digital hasn't raised the bar in these areas, it has lowered it. There is nothing you need to do in either of these fields commercially that a good FF DSLR with T/S lenses can't handle. These are not fields that demand top quality. That Linhoff and a set of lenses and back will run what 60K? I shudder to think how I would pay that off in travel or RE photography.
    You write what I suspected here. I am more into the arts than commercial photography, however making a few bucks here and there never hurts. I have heard many complaints from photographers regarding amateurs and hacks with decent digital equipment under bidding the real pros. I wont worry about money- just gonna take some pictures. Maybe at some point ill come up with a theme for a body of work and sell a print or two, maybe not. Polaroids will make for good postcards anyway

Quote Originally Posted by BKLZ View Post
    I used an old 6x9 with a few degrees of movement to it when I was in school and fell in love. . . Cant for the life of me remember the name of the camera- super 24?

Mamiya Super 23? But your issues are not format or technology related. If freelance travel photography sells at all (it has become harder, with few magazines left that have any independent editorial content at all) it is through a good story on a novel and interesting aspect of the destination. That is, you'd better be a first class writer as well as a first class photographer, or you'll have to team up with one...

That's a good attitude. FWIW Amateurs and hacks with good equipment have ALWAYS underbid real pros while I have been a pro (since 1978) and I doubt it started then .
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Kevin Kolosky

{quote}"That Linhoff and a set of lenses and back will run what 60K? I shudder to think how I would pay that off in travel or RE photography."{quote}

I suppose it would be difficult if you purchased it all new from a dealer. But careful and judicious shopping on the worldwide used market yields a lot of bargains. There is always somebody who overbought and now needs money!!

Nevertheless, although I have no experience making and selling "travel photography", I don't doubt that most of the making part of it could be done with a good quality DSLR, and that the Linhof or equivalent would only be required for large buildings and landscapes with "near far" problems.

that the Linhof or equivalent would only be required for large buildings and landscapes with "near far" problems.
    How so exactly? You know I make my principle living shooting large buildings for top architects and magazines with a DSLR (after 27 years with a 4x5) and t/s lenses.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: