Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D76 vs TMax RS processing

D76 vs TMax RS processing

So I need to process some 4x5 TMax 100 I shot today and realized that I'm out of my usual developer, TMax RS. I have some D76 here that I guess I can try but I've yet to use this developer. Is there anything I should know before I begin?

I usually process starting with the times on the Massive Dev Chart. In this case is recommends 1+1 for 11:15 at 20 degrees Celsius or stock strength for 5:45. Is there a benefit for either way?

Also, I usually agitate for the first minute and the for 10 seconds every minute following. Same process for D76?

Anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks in advance!

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Re: D76 vs TMax RS processing

I would never develop important film in a developer I had never tested and calibrated. My advice would be to spend a bit of time with some test negs to make sure you can get good results from D-76 or wait till you can get the developer you are used to again.

Best,

Doremus

I suggest downloading the technical publication from Kodak's website and start with what they recommend.

I agree with Doremus. Never process film in an untested developer. Results will be unpredictable. Even if you do get the expected density range, you will experience other side effects that may affect image quality. D76 has a slightly solvent effect on film grain. Some people like it, some people don't. But it impacts how the final image prints on paper. Highlights and shadows develop differently between two developers, so the density gradient between dark tones and light tones will be different as well. Stick with what you know for "live" shots.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

D76 1:1 for 11 minutes is my standard developer and time for normal development with TMax 100.
    I tray develop and use constant but gentle agitation for the first minute then 7 seconds ofaggressivee agitation once every following minute.
    I also pre-soak for 5 minutes in water. I develop 1 sheet per tray and work 4 trays at a time.

I have tried developing with straight solution but was not happy with the results.

I also agree with Doremus, but since you are asking the question, the negatives are obviously not something that can't be easily redone if you are not completely satisfied with the results.

D76 at 1:1 or even 1:2 is respectable and capable and widely copied, but I agree you should try it first.

It was what I first used and developed lots of nice negatives in it, but I tired of mixing it, and it was no longer was available locally. I liked that tmax developer was liquid but it was costly. So eventually I have settled on liquid concentrated pyrocat-HD and PMK from formulary. Formulary sell some sort of tmax-like developer as well which I haven't tried.

Thanks for all of the comments! I wish I had time to wait for the TMax developer that I'm used to but I had to order it and it won't be here for a few days. I'm going to take a chance and go ahead and try the D76 with the ideas here and the Kodak recommended times. Wish me luck...

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

One thing about Tmax film and D76 should you decide to try it -- Tmax likes FRESH D76. Results will be lower in contrast and resolution from even week old D76. If you decide to try it, mix up fresh D76 and use that. I use D-76 straight at Kodak's recommended time, in trays, with continuous gentle agitation (shuffling through the stack of negatives, typically 8-12 negatives in an 8x10 try with 1 qt. of fresh D76.

Good luck!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    One thing about Tmax film and D76 should you decide to try it -- Tmax likes FRESH D76. Results will be lower in contrast and resolution from even week old D76. If you decide to try it, mix up fresh D76 and use that. I use D-76 straight at Kodak's recommended time, in trays, with continuous gentle agitation (shuffling through the stack of negatives, typically 8-12 negatives in an 8x10 try with 1 qt. of fresh D76.

Good luck!

Mike
    Thanks Mike! I just went for it and things seem to have worked just fine. I went with stock D76, freshly mixed (well, last night anyway) and followed the Kodak recommended agitation (5-7 inversions then 4 inversions every 30 seconds) using my Paterson tank with the MOD54. Sometimes you just gotta go for it.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post

Good luck!

Mike
    So Mike, When did you start mixing fresh D76?